Drinking at a child's 6th birthday party?

One that is just for family and the child's school friends. Indoor and casual. Trashy,yea or nay?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• seriously? drinking at a kids party? who would do that besides a bunch of drunks?
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• With family and friends I don't see anything wrong with it. Kind of inappropriate with the school friends there.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't drink around the friends from school... I don't think that's a good idea. If it's just a family party, then no big deal, but I don't think the parents would appreciate their kids around adults that are drinking.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I too feel it's rather tacky....I loath to judge anyone but here's why I say this.
    When I was about 7 I went to a friend's birthday party and there was drinking there.
    I remember the adults "looming" over me bending down to ask me questions and the stench of
    alcohol on their breath. It was gross.
    Some of the adults indulged too much and were knocking over lawn chairs and playing with the kids' toys.
    I hated it.
    IMHO drinking is something that should be done in celebration of Adult birthdays NOT childrens...the two should not be
    combined.
    Children should see their role models as just that.
    And not slobbering fools with alcohol breath.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Why would that be trashy??? Unless you are going to the zoo with vodka in a sippy cup I see nothing wrong with it. We have partys for my dd and offer drinks. Ive been to other bday parties that did the same. I see know problem with adults having a beer or any kind of drink while socializing at a party. I wouldnt have dds bday at a bar but to have drink is not trashy at all
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• At about every family party I had growing up, it was common for the adults to have a beer or glass of wine. Keep in mind, that it was never more than one, and nobody in my family has alcohol problems.

I don't remember what happened if there were school friends over, but I think that would be trashy. Also, I have never had alcohol at my girls' birthday parties, and I don't even think anyone was "disappointed" lol.

I guess I'm up in the air on it, because it depends on the attitudes of the adults and family. Personally, I would not have alcohol at the party.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Sorry, but there shouldn't be drinking at a child's birthday party. It should be all about the child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Trashy... sounds like my ex's family. Notice the EX?? LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• All I know is that I would not be a happy camper if I dropped my child off at another child's birthday party, only to find upon my return that the adults are drinking. And if I saw they were drinking when I went to drop off, I probably would either alter my plans so I could stay and keep an eye on DD, or we'd just leave. I am not comfortable with it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Trashy for school friends. Lets go over board thinking here - what if an adult got drunk and did something to a kid? Or if a kid got a hold of the booze?
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 9:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011