Sleeping? Will she ever sleep more than 4 hours?????

My LO just turned 8 mo. She is an absolute joy pretty much all the time, even if she is the definition of a "high needs baby". Night time is a different story. This child has not slept more than 4 hours since birth!!!!!

I still BF and we have been on solids since 4 mo., I have tried cutting her feedings down to 1 at night and she has been able to go 7 hours without eating but she is still waking about every 2 or 3. We have been going through teething, so I know that is a facto,r but I give her Motrin when it is bad, she naps regular during the day (3 hours total in 3 sessions), so I don't think her wakings are due to physical issues.

Sometimes I can stick the paci back in and she goes right back to sleep...other times not. I try not to pick her up unless I am changing her and I don't say anything....just pat her on the back or hum to her. Last night we were both up from 11 PM to 1AM. I finally let her cry for more than a few min. because I was out of ideas after being in there 3 times trying to soothe her only for her to start again when I left the room....she cried for 22 min. and I couldn't take it anymore because she was standing in her crib and falling etc. I am NOT a cry-it-out mother needless to say.I have no idea why she wouldn't settle down because I had feed her at 11 thinking she would be good until morning and given her Motrin at 8 PM.

It can't be good for her at this point to be waking 5-6 times a night from 8 PM, when I put her down, until 6:30 (when she is usually up and ready to go). I am wondering if she has just developed a bad habit of waking, but I don't know how to fix it.

Sometimes, if she won't settle down quickly and I have been back and forth to her room for an hour I end up feeding her, if she is close to the 5 hour mark without eating, just to get back to sleep. I know that is bad....but it is exhausting!!!!! I am also so sleep deprived I don't feel like I am up to being consistent with a plan that I know I would basically be up all night (for a few nights) to implement.

A) How normal is this for BF babies?
B) How do I help her sleep better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1) very normal
    2) you don't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• yes
    more during the day and ask your dr.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011