Do you have more than 1 Bible? If so, why?

I have a NIV Mom's Devotional Bible that I use while at church to mark in & what not. And today I went & got a ESV Bible to get busy & try reading it in a year & plan on making my own notes/highlight as I go.

My DH has 3 bibles! 1 for work, 1 for home/church, and 1 is a chronological bible.

So do you have more than 1 Bible? If so, why?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have several bibles partly because I like to have several translations when I study as it is difficult to translate from one language to another and get the full understanding of the passage. So getting several translations helps to get implications of the original passage. Also I'm kinda rough on bibles, I have one leather bound with half of the pages detached (not on purpose just through use and a somewhat cheap make) I hve another one where the entire cover came off (DS's fault). Etc. NIV and ESV are my favorites, and I plan on buying the amplified soon. I like The Message just to read, though I don't like how he translated somethings but for the most part it is a good version.

NIV
    ESV
    The Message
    NKJV
    KJV
    NAS

I think that is all the translations I have. ESV is the only one I have multiples in.
    JoyfulJ

Answer by JoyfulJ at 1:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have several. I like to look up different translations for different things. I have one study bible that I really like, but it's too thick to comfortably carry back and forth to church.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have around 10. I have different ones because of the different notes at the bottom and such. My favorite one is Life in the Spirit. It's more of a "pentecostal" Bible. I have a Life Application, Everyday Life (Joyce Meyer), NKJV Study Bible, The Message, KJV, Thomas Kinkade Devotional, The Evidence Bible, 2 family Bibles, and the Bible I had when I was a child.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There is atleast 15 bibles around my house. Why not? Its good to have the word around !!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have 4. My first one I received when I was confirmed. It's a red letter edition King Jmaes version. I have a New Life Bible I got during my teens because I grew up in the 70s and wanted something beyond a Catholic POV. I have a Scofield Reference Bible that my grandparents gave me for graduation. I use it mostly for cross-referencing scriptures, which is great for Bible study. And, finally, I have my Catholic Bible because SO & I are Catholic. I was raised Catholic and he converted years ago from Methodist to Catholic.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• We have 5 "adult" bibles (3 of which are marriage devotional ones... the first fell apart and then my hubby and I got a copy each to replace it, the other 2 are Life Application Bibles), an electronic version, and 3 childrens versions (which are basically like, Bible Stories)
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 4:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We have quite a few here. My husband had 2 when I met him because he was thinking of going into seminary. I had the one I got for confirmation. We also have a Greek NT. I also use Biblegateway.com a lot when needing verses to fit my needs since each different version of the Bible says something different.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Me and my DH have 3 bibles each. We both have a bible in English, but tend to use our bibles that
    are printed in Spanish. So a KJV Spanish...but 1 is for studying, the other 1 for church....

So theres 6 bibles. Then, we have 3 LO's, they all have 2 bibles. English/Spanish... thats 12... I have one
    open in the foyer, and there is a spare in my DH's office. LOL!!!

Add 2 more, because I'm due again in April. LOL!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Yes we have about 6 or more and im not realy sure y so many
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 9:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• YEs I have different versions because I have studied religion and I find the differences in the versions very interesting. I find the history rich too but I do not have more than 1 of each version since I am an Athiest.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2011