My daughter is 4 1/2 months old and I gave her a taste of rice cereal, per her doctors orders.

She seemed quite interested and opened her mouth big and wide. I don't want to start doing this every day, just here and there for a little practice. Anyway, she has already had 4 poopy diapers today. The poop looks pretty normal, but she usually only has 1 a day. Actually, in the past 2 weeks she started having about 2 per day, but today, so far, she has had 4 already. Now, I know this is kind of the opposite effect that is expected from rice cereal. Has anyone had a similar experience.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The cereal gets her digestive system working better to get ready for the fruits and veggies. All 3 of my kids started cereal at 2 months and did fine.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Honestly, no. Having my son on rice cereal did not change the consistency or the number of diapers he had. However, my doctor had said it should make for more poop....but it didn't! If it looks ok, I wouldn't worry about it, though. They go through phases of more or less poop, so it may just be that. Keep an eye on it, and you should probably mention it to your doc, but it doesn't sound bad to me! Watch for diarrhea, excessive vomitting, raches, and things like that. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Well, actually I have noticed just a touch of diaper rash. I put some A & D ointment on it and it seems to be getting better already. Now I am afraid to feed it to her again. Maybe I should skip to oatmeal? In actuality, I really just wanted to skip the cereals and go straight to veggies around 5 months, but at her last appt. the dr said to start with the cereals. I didn't tell him that I really wanted to skip that step, but would that really be such a bad thing? She is already a chubbers.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My doc said not to worry about the number of poops but the type. If it's suddenly diahrrea or it turns hard, then worry. My dd is all over. Some days none, some 3 or 4. usually the 3 or 4 will follow a none day, but not always.
    Anonymous

• Also, no it's not necessary. But if dd is into it and enjoys eating, might as well feed her. No harm in doing oatmeal and no harm doing fruit or veggies. I did fruit with the cereal pretty early on.
    Anonymous

• It's pretty normal to have a change in poopy patterns when they start solids. It shouldn't be a problem to try the other cereals. You just need to give each new food a few days to check for allergic reaction.

My twins nutritionist and pediatrician both say to keep them on cereal as long as possible. It has a little bit of iron which is good for babies. They still eat cereal with fruit at least once a day. And they are 1 year old.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If your daughter handled eating the cereal you gave her good, then she is probably ready to start eating. Maybe none of my business, just wondering the reason why you don't want to give her cereal everyday? We started my son at 4 months and he's been an eater ever since.

My pediatrician had us keep feeding my son the cereal mixed in with fruit and veggiesat least twice a day until he started table food. He said because the cerals are fortified they are sure to be getting all the vitamins they need.

All that being said, yeah the number of poops a day change all the time. It could have been her tummy reacting to something new, but it doesn't sound like she's sick or anything.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Well, I suppose in that case that maybe I will just start giving her cereal once a day. She seemed to like it. Thanks everyone!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008