DD is losing her voice...

but she's not exhibiting signs of being sick. She has allergic rhinitis and her allergies started acting up a couple of days ago so she's all congested, has a runny nose and a cough but other than that she hasn't had a fever and she's been eating and acting just fine. And she hasn't been couging excessively. Any ideas what could be making her voice go?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• "She has allergic rhinitis and her allergies started acting up a couple of days ago so she's all congested, has a runny nose and a cough" that would be the culprit right there... that and the associated mucus.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I wasn't sure if that would cause it or not. Guess maybe because her allergies haven't acted up in a while.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• does she have a wet or dry cough?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• wet cough
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• That sounds alot like what went on with my son (2) last month. He lost his voice first and it developed into croup, which the doctor diagnosed the day before onset of croupy cough. he said that the loss of voice is ofetn the first sign of the virus attacking the pharynx . . . thus croup. He gave us an emergency prescription of oral steroids in case my son could not breathe during the upcpoming episodes. he was totally right! That night, and the next two, we were up a lot in the steam and then cold air . . . and we actually did need the steroids the first night because my son couldn't get his lungs functioning after the second episode.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Just sounds like laryngitis. My DH gets like that a few times a year, although it normally affects him right about June. If it real bad he loses his voice completly, which I love!! lol Its a peaceful week! He uses a humidifier which helps out real good. We also niw use with the vicks plug ins like kinda looks like the glade plug-in. My dd had a really bad cold awhile and with that came the Croup. We used the vicks stuff and that actually seemed to help.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Out of curiosity, why does the fact when u take your child outside or in the shower with alot of steam build up help with the croup?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The doctor told me that it helped "soothe" the airways and decrease inflammation . . . which is why the steroids work, as well. ??
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Give her a tablespoon of local raw honey every day, and cut out dairy for a few weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• talk to her doctor

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011