Is pediasure a meal replacement or something they drink with a meal?

We bought pediasure for my youngest, Gabby, she is a major picky eater we are trying to make her eat new food but so far failing horribly, if it isn't mac and cheese, pizza, or chicken nuggets. It is yucky. Oh she'll eat pop tarts, cereal, oatmeal, bananas and strawberrys too. Anyways, I was wondering is this something I like give her to drink WITH her meals or something to drink in between meals like a snack or just if she doesn't eat (some mornings or afternoons she refuses to eat her breakfast or lunch).

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 10:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is for drinking along with meals. It doesn't replace a meal but fills in the nutritional gaps.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• PEDIALYTE is to replace electrolytes when your child is sick. PEDIASURE is a version of Ensure for kids. As it's only about 240 calories, I do not think it would suffice as a meal replacement, except maybe for breakfast in place of cereal. It is to help fill the gaps in nutrition.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My son has fallen off the growth charts, and his pedi wants him to take it in addition to meals. He has one after breakfast, after lunch, and before bed, because if we try to give it with the meal or before, he will fill up on pediasure and not eat. That was a huge problem we ran into with it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My son drank Pediasure to help with his growth. It doesn't replace a meal but it helps get the nutrition needed. My son was off the charts little, and his doc had me give him 2 a day. It helped.

BTW, Pedialyte is to replace electrolytes when a child is sick.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• my son has been on it for 3 years now, he has started since he is one and his peds recommended it because he was on the smaller side and still is. It is not a replacement, my son had to eat breakfast first whatever that may have been and the drink it, and again at bed time. he is still on it cuz dr said so, but it is not needed and if he skipped it that it was ok. But he still has it for bed time. It is drink that gives them the vitamins and minerals their body needs to grow healthier and stronger. they say its best for picky eaters cuz they don't eat the proper amount of vitamins and minerals they need to grow. there are other drinks u can try too like kid essentials but just give it to her for bed or for a snack maybe
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Thanks guys for correcting me! I was totally mistaken, boy did I deserve those thumbs down, oh, oh
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Pediasure is used to replace electrolytes when your child is sick. Meal replacement or to aid during meals it's better to give her Ensure. Has the vitamins in it that she's lacking from not eating.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2011