Simple chores for a 3 year old? what kind of allowance do u give as well?

I was thinking about making a chore chart for my son now. But simple ones that he can follow. the reason for it is because i used to have one, and it can help with responsibilities.
I though maybe help me dust or even pick up toys before nap and bed time. My husband said no on the picking up toys because that should be an automatic thing. Got any ideas

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• google "chores for a 3 year old" loads of ideas pop up!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Feed and water pets. You fold the clothes, and let him take them to peoples room. Wipe tables with clorox wipes.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• my ds picks up his toys, picks up his books, puts his colors and color books away, puts dirty clothes in the baskets, and general pick up. he likes to throw trash to. we currently dont really give him an allowance, but he does get pennies and nickels to put in a 3L bottle that we will cash and put in a savings account for him when its full.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My boys are 3 and 4. They pick up their toys, put their dirty clothes in hamper, match the socks, help set the table, put their dishes away out of the dishwasher (I have all their dishes in a drawer that they can reach), they stand on a chair and put the silverware away and they like to dust. We do not give allowance. We figure that helping around the house is how a family works. These are every day things that need to be done. Now when they get older and have to help shovel or go beyond the expected responsibilities then they will get allowance.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Ds is three. He helps with laundry (loading washer and dryer w my help) folding towels and putting his own clothes into his dresser. He helps vacuum, sets dinner table and make dinner (measuring ingredients, stirring, pouring). He helps shovel and brings food out to the deer in our woods. He gets .25 each time he does a chore to put onto his piggy bank (they have a lot of cute options at target).

Ds does not get money for picking up his toys- that is something he is expected to do. Although I help him do most of his chores, o think at 3 a lot of teaching is taking place and that is most important. I dont want my son to be one of those men who move out and have no idea how to do laundry or cook for themselves:)

Also, Ds counted his $ for the first time last week- he was able to buy a nice train expansion pack he had been wanting. He was so proud of himself (and I was so proud of him too $
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• we like to scrub the floors. I get out scruby washclothes and we put on clean shoes(so no one slips). then we skate around the kitchen on them. I either fill a bucket w/ wht vinegar, a tiny bit dishsoap, and hot water or I give my kids the spray bottle(contains 50/50 water & viniger) and they spray it down. Then just dry it all up by walking/shuffling on bath towels

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't believe in giving allowances at that age-I may when my son is in his teens and is doing extra chores. But we all pitch in around the house because we're a family. He lives here so he should help and take care of his things. If he doesn't take care of his things, then he won't have them.

My son puts his clothes in the hamper, picks up his toys and helps feed the dogs (he pours their little cup of food into the bowl).
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My two year old daughter has some chores. She keeps her room picked up and everything but mostly she helps me with my chores. She carries feed buckets and brushes the horses and helps me feed the dogs and follows me around with a dust rag when I'm dusting and she holds the dust pan for me when I'm dusting. She likes doing what I'm doing so I figure I should put her to work.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We've always had a rule in our house - if you get something out, you put it back. Goes for toys, clothes whatever they are using. This is part of being responsible and is considered a "given" in family life and isn't a chore. A "chore" is something you do to contribute to the overall running of the home. I like the idea of looking on the internet for age appropriate suggestions. I don't 3 year olds are old enough to really understand the concept of money so allowance at that age would be inappropriate.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• All my three year old is really responsible for is putting his dishes in the sink, his clothes in the basket and helping us pick up his toys.
    I think that's plenty for a three year old. I don't give him an allowance, never thought of it at this age.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 8:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2011