Anyone have success using ferber method of sleep training on strong willed one year old?

We are three nights, 2 1/2 hours in to attempting the ferber method of progressive waiting to get our 1 year old to go to sleep on his own and sleep through the night. To say the least it has been horrible the past two nights and tonight is starting to feel the same. The first night he was out in 2 hrs and 10 minutes, slept 4 1/2 hrs and then was up the rest of the night until we took him out to start the day at 6am. Last night we went almost 5 hrs and finally at 1:30am we couldn't take anymore and I nursed him to sleep, like he is used to. I know bad, and that is probably why tonight is going so bad.

Previous to this he has gotten to where he fights us if we try to get him down any other way except me nursing him. It has become near impossible some nights and naps to get him into his crib without him waking, sometimes taking over an hour to finally get him there, if at all. Then he is up 3-4 times throughout the evening and night and we go through the same process. My husband tries to help, but it is a constant struggle, and the baby cries and fights, and I give in and take over. I know, also bad.

I have tried the no cry solutions, but they just result in crying anyways and no success, so we thought why not try this. We have talked to so many people who it has worked for and I am determined to see it out, but it is agaonizing hearing him cry and fuss. He is so freakin tired and I truely don't know how he is still awake at this point. I am looking for people in similar situations who have been successful with this method of sleep training.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hang in there! The method will work, just takes longer with some than others. With my boys, it took about 3 nights but every child is different.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It worked for my son, but I didn't try it until he was almost 2 years old. He would always have to be nursed or rocked to sleep then layed down in bed so carefully to make sure he didn't wake up, then he would wake up in the night and I would have to do it all over again. Just before my daughter was born someone gave me Ferber's book. I only did his method when I first put my son down for the night, not in the middle of the night, that would have just been too exhausting. It worked for him in 3 days and he's been a great sleeper ever since. I tried it on my daughter at 2 years old, but her issues were different, she didn't nurse to sleep and had been a great sleeper as a baby, but at some point changed. I tried Ferber with her but it just didn't work, every time I went back in she would become more hysterical. I eventually just let her cry for hours, but it worked in about 2 or 3 days again, as awful as those days were.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had used the ferber method on my dd, it was hard as hell to not go back and pick her up. But each time when I go to comfort her and then taking longer and longer each time. Took her about a week or so. Now she is 2 and when I ask her if she wants to go night night, she normally goes to bed with little fussiness.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2011