Toddler Bed....how long did it take your lil one to transition?

My husband and I went to our local towns auction tonight just to get out of the house..well they had a toddler bed so we went ahead and bid on it and got is for $12.50! I couldn't pass the idea of getting a bed so cheap. My son doesn't climb out of crib at all but he loves my bosses son's toddler bed so we have set it up in his room to let him get used to it and the idea that one day he will get to sleep in it. I asked him tonight which bed he'd like to sleep in of course he picked the toddler bed b/c its new but as soon as we laid him down in it his eyes welled up with tears like he was scared. But when we put him back in his crib he wanted in his toddler bed...had to explain we would try it at nap tomorrow. How long did it take for your lil one to transition?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 18 month old DD is in her toddler bed right now. I set it up about a week ago and the first night she got up a few times and cried for hugs, but since then she's been really good with it.

I think I'm at an advantage with the fact that her toddler bed is just her crib with the front off and the toddler rails up so it's still "her bed", it just converts from a crib, to a toddler bed to a daybed. So she doesn't have a whole new bed to get accustomed to.

Each kid is different though. My son transitioned pretty easily too as far as not being afraid goes. But he would CONSTANTLY get out of bed and look at books or play with toys for hours. Eventually he stayed in bed.
    He's 4 now and still gets up sometimes to look at books but at least now he puts himself back to bed and doesn't just fall asleep on the floor. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• No problems with my son.  The crib went down and out, the toddler bed went up and he was fine.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2011