How can I get a court date continued?

I have a court date coming up for something I did not do. It is just a misdemeanor, but if arrested I will lose my job, get kicked out of school, and I wont have anybody to watch my children continuously. I am getting my proof together and I need more time to get prepared for the court date. My lawyer refuses to ask for a continued date. If I show up to court without everything I will go to jail. I heard if I was hospitalized they would be forced to make a continued date. Does anyone know if this is true or anyway I can get it continued to a further date without showing up or getting in trouble.

My court date is Monday. I tried to go with getting a new lawyer, I would need to release my current lawyer and hire a new one that same morning before court started. I would still need to be present wouldnt I? Or could my new lawyer appear for me and get a continued date?

nashia

Asked by nashia at 12:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• They have to continue the court date if u get a new lawyer. He will need time to go over the material.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• get a new lawyer if he won't help you
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 12:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Go to court and ask the judge if you can have more time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• get a new lawyer, not sure how much you are paying or where you are but I could probably save you a good amount of money.

Also try calling the court and explaining you need more time to letother like work know so they can schedule accordingly.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree, get a new lawyer or ask him why he won't do it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Start calling lawyers until you find one who will go and get a new court date. They do it all the time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011