Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How can I get a court date continued?

I have a court date coming up for something I did not do. It is just a misdemeanor, but if arrested I will lose my job, get kicked out of school, and I wont have anybody to watch my children continuously. I am getting my proof together and I need more time to get prepared for the court date. My lawyer refuses to ask for a continued date. If I show up to court without everything I will go to jail. I heard if I was hospitalized they would be forced to make a continued date. Does anyone know if this is true or anyway I can get it continued to a further date without showing up or getting in trouble.

My court date is Monday. I tried to go with getting a new lawyer, I would need to release my current lawyer and hire a new one that same morning before court started. I would still need to be present wouldnt I? Or could my new lawyer appear for me and get a continued date?


Asked by nashia at 12:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (36 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • They have to continue the court date if u get a new lawyer. He will need time to go over the material.

    Answer by dancer at 12:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • get a new lawyer if he won't help you

    Answer by autbot at 12:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Go to court and ask the judge if you can have more time.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • get a new lawyer, not sure how much you are paying or where you are but I could probably save you a good amount of money.

    Also try calling the court and explaining you need more time to letother like work know so they can schedule accordingly.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • I agree, get a new lawyer or ask him why he won't do it

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Start calling lawyers until you find one who will go and get a new court date. They do it all the time.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011