How much would you expect to pay for a nanny?

Where do you live and how much would you expect to pay for a nanny for an 18 month old? I have recently left my job working in a child care facility. I have been working in child care for 5 years and have gone to college for my directors license. I have also recently gone back and am working on my bachelors in secondary education. I am CPR and First Aid certified. I just responded to a women looking for a nanny position. She is looking for 10 in the morning until 8 at night Mon to Thurs and 3 to 6 on Friday. Her daughter is 18 months old. I have never worked outside of a child care facility and I know those are very expensive, I was paying $1100 a month at the employee discount.

Let me know what you would pay for a nanny and what you would think would be outragious and also what state you live in. Also let me know if that is weekly or monthly

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• In my area, it is $10-$15 an hour for a live out nanny and about $600-$800 for a live in nanny (room and board provided). I live in North Georgia.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Ok. I made $10 an hour working in a center so I was not sure. I know its different in different states and have seen people say that $500 a month is way to much. Our kindy program at work is $800 a month lol. I guess its my state or area because we were in the middle of the prices but I worked for a well known school. I worked for The Goddard School.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We are in Chicago. Nanny's earn around $15 an hour; make sure that the family will be handing the taxes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I made $10 an hour for one child. I was expected to do all the cooking, cleaning and laundry and running errands (grocery store, dry cleaners ect) too but the parents were never home so I was only cleaning up after me and the girl and making our food. Plus they gave me a new car and paid my insurance for the 2 years I worked for them.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Nannies here make a LOT. A FT nanny can make anywhere from $500 to $800 a WEEK.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011