Discipline....

i hear so many different things from different people, i was doing a paper for my classes im taking about if some discipline goes to far...and here are some quotes from parents,older siblings, and people with no kids (see what they had to say about it)

the question was: how would you discipline your child if they either a.wouldn't stop touching something in a store or b.kept saying no to you

here are a couple of the answers
(from a male at the age of 20)
"A swift hard back hand slap will do for disobeying children."

(a pregnant(first time) women at the age of 18, she gave an answer for both scenarios)
"if my child wouldn't stop touching something in the store i would slap the tops of their hand and tell them that its not theirs and shouldn't touch
and if they kept saying no to me i would give them an ultimatum...when they could understand of coarse, i would tell them either i can take your toys away for x amount of days or you can have a spanking"

(an older women around 60, 3 children, 9 grandchildren )
"i would spank my grandchild in the store if they wouldn't stop grabbing things, and when my children were little i would get the belt and smack their butts with it"

im only going to put 3 of different ages, as so many more get a slight more graffic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do the first time mom thing and the grandmother thing!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 1:05 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• :( Sounds harsh, and I hate to think that many people think this way. There are ways to discipline your children without being aggressive. Sometimes my son actually listens better in scenarios like the store if I explain to him kindly not to touch things and why. I have had to spank him very few times and when I do it's just a pop on the butt and he ususally doesn't cry when I do it, I just feel really bad when I am aggressive towards him, I feel discipline is about teaching not scaring children.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• when my 3 year old daughter won't quit touching things we leave unless it's some place i need to get something then she loses the privledge of walking and either goes in the basket or i carry her.

saying no to me. depends on what it is about. children are learning their limits and defying them. if she is doing it disrespectfully she might get sent to her room, some thing far beyond a spanking for her, because she wants to be where everyone else is.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 1:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• kayaiden8907-i wouldn't say the pregnant girl is being aggressive at all, if you mean the guy or the older women then yeah thats a little much to me to
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with the 20 year old male.

the first time mother wants to give her children and ultimatum. That doesn't really work with kids, not in my experience anyway. However, when I was pregnant with DS, I thought that's what I would do-always give choices. I find that when it comes to punishment, you can't give choices.

As for the last response, i don't agree in hitting with anything except a flat open hand. I think spanking should be used to help reprimand blatant disrespect and disobedience and for when a situation can't be explained to a child because they can't comprehend why what they were doing is wrong-but the behavior needs to be corrected immediately.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree, I would say the pregnant one was the most reasonable
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Well, for the touching thing, my two year old has a problem with that because toddlers are curious. Like, when we went to the animal shelter to see if they picked up my mother's cat and my daughter kept sticking her fingers in the cage. First I told her "No no baby, don't do that. Those doggies might bite." My child loves dogs so she has a problem understanding that not all dogs are friendly. If she does it again then I remind her "No Alice. Don't pet those doggies." If she does it again I pop her on the hand and pick her up. My little girl usually gets the idea after I pop her. I've had to pop her leg once or twice and I popped her mouth once when she bit my niece. Sometimes, unfortunately, the best teaching method is natural consequences. She once wanted to touch my brother's space heater and I tried telling her no and that it was hot and I popped her hand but, once she finally got burned, she stopped. I tried but I failed.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Wow.  I completely believe in spanking but........WOW.  Some of that seems a bit much.  I agree with the pregnant woman who answered. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• The pregnant woman - not effective discipline at all on the "taking away their toys" because that won't happen until they get home. In order for it to be effective, discipline needs to be immediate for little ones - that's from my own experience and reading "experts" opinions. The grandmother with her grandchild is what I most agree with, she was too heavy handed with her own kids.

Answer by missanc at 8:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i do the kinda thing the pregnant women does...it works alot better then the other 2
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2011