Correcting speech in a 2yr old

My dd has began to speak recently, and prett y good sometimes. There are a few things she say like when she wants a drink she says "drinky". Do I correct this and tell her how to pronounce right? Or do I just let it go for now and wait until shes older?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• <-- This kindergarten teacher says YES! Correct your child - Just repeat back what they said the correct way. If your child says he or she wants a "drinky" then repeat back "Oh, you want a drink?" "Would you like a drink of juice or water?" Repeat the word, but don't tell them it's wrong, just model the proper way to say it. :)
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would probably say it back to her like, "You want a drink? Ok here is your drink" Just making sure I use the correct word but without specifically pointing it out.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You can correct her but she is still probably too small to catch on to it, I'm sure she will grow out of it but I don't think correcting could hurt anything.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have heard this advice: When she says, "Mama, I want drinky", just say back, "You would like a drink?" She'll pick it up eventually. Pronunciation can be really off in some kids, especially with r's and l's, through 3rd or 4th grade. It is pretty normal, but the teacher can refer to speech therapy if it doesn't clear or is really severe. I wouldn't worry at all at age 2 . . . .

Don't know if that helps . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• yes it helps.....I don't know if speech problems are inherited or not. My neice has real problems with her speech and she 10
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That's just normal kid stuff. You make sure you call it by the right name then she'll learn. I think some of the baby talk it cute. My little girl is two and she talks pretty well for her age but she still says somethings like pasghetti (Spaghetti) and the dogs, Maggie and Nikki she often calls Maddy and Kiki. My cat Phoebe she calls Bebe. It's cute at this age and it's a normal part of childhood. They're going to say things wrong sometimes. I talk to her like an adult so, for the most part, she speaks in plain English.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son is 2 also and I correct him if he says something in correct but for a 2 yr old Logan actually talks really well.
    becky0829

Answer by becky0829 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with the above posters. You don't need to point out that it's wrong, just model the correct way to say it. Speech issues can be learned by how the parent speak to their children. I dislike when I hear parents say TO there kids "Do you want a drinky?". My ex husband did that with our son and he still insists on saying things like "Can I have a bathy?". Or "Can we have mash potat-potats for dinner". My ex called me a controlling bitch years ago when I asked him to model appropriate speech to our autistic child, now he sees the error of his ways.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2011