Our future adults, how will they be? Are we setting the right example?

I see how people can be and it really makes me wonder what we are teaching our future adults! It scares me. Are they going to be ten times worse than the parents? I see more and more people who are blaming their actions on others behavior, it's okay to steal, cheat, and it's not okay to make mistakes, because then you don't matter. If you aren't thin and perfect, you don't get the job. Don't disagree, or you'll wish you didn't. Just do what everyone else does...Etc. It's a lot of things. My fear is, is it getting worse?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh, I am sooooooo scared, too. There seems to be, for many reasons, an all too common trend for kids to be in daycare 5 days a week, 6 AM to 6PM and then left with babysitters or family on the weekends. When do they get guidance from mom and dad?

I know that many people HAVE to work during the week, but why do they have to take off on the weekends, too?

My mom friends keep asking me for girl's night, girl's spa day, etc. If I wanted to go out and party with the chicks, I wouldn't have gotten married and had kids.

It just seems like such an anti-family environment.

Who is following around these kids to teach them morals?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I totally have these same fears.  Just go a long with what every one else is saying and doing and you'll be fine.  That's crap.  It worries me to send my children out into a world so unaccepting.  Scary shit.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I work in a high school---yes, it is getting worse----scares the heck out of me that they will be the ones taking care of me-----very doubtful as they only think of themselves and care little for other peoples feelings.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 9:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Gosh, you ladies are making me nervous. Most families I know are not perfect, but at least I know the moms (and some of the dads) are trying hard to do things like teach good habits and ethics... even if they screwing up sometimes. I guess I'm holding onto the knowledge that our generation was raised by parents who screwed up a lot too, but most of us turned out okay. Heck I was a latch-key kid at 6 (and I wasn't the only one we knew) At least these kids are now going into daycare or afterschool programs instead of going home to an empty house.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2011