How stop a 4yr old running away

hi i have a 4yr old boy who is currently running away he can unlock all types of locks and opens wndows he does it so silently... he goes to my neighbours house who has a pool and it is scaring me that he may drown... the pool is fenced but he has tried climbing it with a chair.. i have tried al punishment and as a single mum i am at wits end... He is a real bad sleeper and wakes at diferant times it is really hard to get up when he does... he is vry adventurous

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um how about nailing the windows shut.  Using a different kind of lock.  You can use a lock on the doors which have to have a key to be opened. Alarm system.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son who was 4 at the time of this incident, took off while I was asleep and headed to Walmart.  He was less than a block away when a guy jogging stopped him and called the police.  He hasn't tried any crap like that again but I did all of the above to make sure.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It is probably more his age than anything. For a while, if you can, I might try sleeping in a room with him with the door shut. Lock the both of you in the room. That way, you will know when he is up and trying to get out.

The first priority is probably safety, that will keep him safe. ANd, he'll grow out of it eventually.

You can also remind him daily that he always needs to be with an adult, so that you can keep him safe. Remind him that he will not be safe when he is away from adults.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Put a new lock at the tops of the doors where he cant reach it.

Give him concequences for doing it. Take away toys, priveledges, etc.

Tell him the seriousness of running away. Take him to the police station and have a POLICE officer explain it.

Some of this may sound harsh but this is SERIOUS....make him realize that.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would have him sleep with you also. He will grow out of it and then you will have something else to worry about. Kids will be kids. Have you talked with your neighbors also to let them know what he is doing? Might give you some extra eyes to help keep and eye on him.
    taximom42

Answer by taximom42 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Do you have a security alarm on the house? When he opens a door or window it goes off. Might want to invest in one.

Answer by louise2 at 6:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My autistic son used to be a runner when he was younger. I put alarms on all the windows and doors. I also put the type of door lock on the doors that required a key to unlock it from either side. That way he could not unlock it because I had the key. Also, they do make sliding glass door locks and window locks that require a key, I just didn't feel the need to go that far with my son as he usually didn't open the windows.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Thanks i just realised my creep of a neighbour is encouraging the behaviour i have spoken to them i am so furious.... shall try to get a alarm system thingy but the house is being knocked down in 2 months and i have tried sleeping with him but he wont sleep at all...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011