3 yr old with ADHD?

I have a 3 year old son with boundless energy. He talks nonstop and never seems to slow down. Sometimes I wonder if he is showing some signs of ADD or ADHD because he just doesn't seem to be able to focus or listen. I don't know if this is simply due to his age and he just doesn't want to listen but its very frustrating. I feel like I say the same things to him over and over and he never makes a connection. I am a first time mom so maybe I am just worrying to much. I have talked to his doctor and he seems to think its normal but I am not so sure. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

Daria63

Asked by Daria63 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 3 years old is too young for an ADD diagnosis...all of that is a typical 3 year old.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That's just a three year old. They're busy at that age and they don't have the capacity to sit still an pay attention.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with musicmom. I never got why people call the 2's terrible, with all three of my kids in seemed that age 3 was the worst!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• well u never know what will happen and every child is different.either its a stage that your child is going through or your child have alot of energy. i wouldnt worry about it to much now things may change
    marchelleclemon

Answer by marchelleclemon at 5:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• 3 is way to young to diagnose ADHD. Some kids are a bundle of energy, some are not. I agree with PP. I found 3's much more trying the 2's.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think that is typical for a 3 year old, especially a boy. This has been my experience so far, though I've had family members to suggest he may not be the typical little boy. I think it's completely normal, though.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Thank you for all your feedback. I am also finding the 3's to be whose than the 2's were. For now I will try to stop worrying so much and just go with the flow.
    Daria63

Comment by Daria63 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011