As a mother, how do you prepare YOURSELF mentally as your child enters school on the Jr/Sr High School level?

I ask this question in light of all the recent bullying incidents that have plagued many schools.

Momgul

Asked by Momgul at 7:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I can see your point. Not all kids go to big schools where bullies are "old news". My kids went to private school, and an agricultural school...so to go to a big Sr high would have made them little fish in a big pond. You just have to take it as it comes. Talk to your kids...make sure they are adjusting well, if there is trouble where you feel the need to step in do so. You cannot fight every battle for your kids as much as you would like to...they will never learn conflict resolution that way, but there are times when the parent and the school needs to get involved. Communication with your kids is key! I have 5 kids, and they all know they can come to me with anything..and they have. You are not their friend..their parent...but that doesn't mean you can't be understanding and there for them. GL.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You sit your child down and have a good talk with them about mean half-raised kids, and how to deal with them. If your child become a victim of bullying, and the school fail to help. Go see a juvenile detective immediately. Trust me, I already been through this and sometimes we have to turn to higher authority for help.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was less concerned about my older boys than this one. This one has autism and the change will be harder for him. My other kids were 'neuro typical' and had no problem handling the world.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure what there is to "prepare" for. By the time they reach HS they've already been in school for 9 years. Bullies are old news at this point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Bullying starts early.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Bullying start in elementary, and if you fail to address it, those same ignorant kids will follow your child to middle and high school.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I talk to my kids every day.  I ask them about their class work and what they did at recess and lunch.  I'm tuned in to subtle clues like their facial expressions, moods and behaviour while we're talking, so I know if anything is bothering them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Have not dealt with it in elementary school. Incidents where its happened in jr/sr high is what has me asking this question.
    Momgul

Comment by Momgul (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My sd started 6th grade this year, but recently I switched him schools. His old school went from k- 8th grade, so until recently he still went to eleamentry. I never really worried about sending him due to bullys, I worried more about the isues jr high as well as highschool (not to long away) he might face. Like drugs and pear pressure.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011