Friends

When i was working it seemed i had alot of friends, when i lost my job it seems like all the friends i had just dropped off the face of the earth or something. One of my best friends even she never calls me anymore, i saw her husband the other day and he says they got into a fight over me because she never calls me or does anything with me anymore, she told him that its because i am not working right now and she thinks that i don't have any money to do anything. When i am still getting unemployment and i actually have more money now then when i was working because then i was paying around $350 a month in insurance. I do call some of my friends but sometimes they just don't call back. I feel like i only have 1 friend and she drives me nuts half the time.
I know i should just say well then they weren't my friends anyway but it really bothers me because i have been friends with this person for almost 9 yrs.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• A real friend would be there no matter what she should be supporting you as a friend .Sometimes people are all about the money people are always there when you have everything going right when things are going bad no on knows you.One good friend is better that hundred bad friends maybe she really was'nt a good friend good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 11:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think that perhaps you both are making the wrong assumptions. Call and meet her for lunch. You have the time. Put it out on the table. Invite the family for dinner. You have the time. She would probably love to have a homecooked meal that she did not have to make.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It seems that my friends are either people I have known since high school, family, or current/former coworkers. I have found that when I changed jobs or they changed jobs and we weren't working together all the time, that some of the coworker friendships have tapered off over time.

I would definitely leave her a message that you want to go do something, it could just be having the wrong assumption. In a way, her worrying about not wanting to add any financial hardship or make you feel awkward is sweet, but on the other hand, there are plenty of things my girlfriends do all the time that don't cost any money at all...especially just a call!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Call your friend and mention that you ran into her husband and it made you think about her. Invite her over for coffee or whatever and have a heart to heart talk with her to clear up any unjustified assumptions. As far as work friends, that's usually the way it works; they are your friends only while you are working together. I've been fortunate. I'm a retired Teaching Assistant and some of my best friends are teachers that I've worked with in the past. Most of them are retired, too. We try to get together at least once a week just for an hour for breakfast. Another group of friends I have are women who I grew up with and some are who I went to high school with. We also try to get together maybe every other week or at least once a month. Some people are just not organized enough to plan things so if it's that important, try taking the initiative. I'm in a Book Club, too, with a group of teachers. Try organizing one!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Have you been calling them as well?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• yes
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011