Any ideas on how to spill the news about a new baby?

So my bf and I are expecting a baby! Wicked excited! But we haven't told our other kids. He has a 5yr old and 7 yr old... I have a 9 yr old. There are going to be some mixed emotions. Has anyone dealt with this? Any ideas on how to break the news? What worked for you? What failed epically? Lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well i'd get them together and tell them that their gonna have another brother or sister to play with, i'm pretty sure they'll be excited, the only thing that may make them mad is weather its gonna be a boy or girl. lol! good luck =)
    Nikki840

Answer by Nikki840 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My oldest has always been really excited! I don't really have anything creative....I have just showed her the test and told her it meant there was a baby in my tummy.

Maybe you could take them shopping and buy a couple "baby things"...a pack of onesies, a toy, a pack of diapers, etc....and announce it then. Of course if you think they could react poorly, maybe telling them in the store isn't the best idea!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Definitely tell all the chidren at the same time, but if they are prone to a bit of rivalry or jealousy, you can be as fair and as tactful as you like but they'll pick holes in your efforts anyway. My husband has a daughter by his first marriage and I bent over backward for ten years to be a good step mum, then I fell pg with my twins (she was by then 15) and the recriminations started flying "You told so-and-so first" when we didn't... etc etc etc etc etc. I know teenagers are different but the way I see it, if you know you're being fair and equal to all your children, including the unborn one, then you must not feel guilty if they take it badly, it's because they love you so much xxx
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 8:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was in a very tricky situation as I was very recently divorced from my ex and not yet engaged to my now-husband. I have two kids from my first marriage; they were 7 and 11 at the time. I told them on Mother's Day as we were driving to my parents' house. I just blurted it out. They were very happy.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2011