Best way to tell 7 year old about new baby coming???

I'm currently expecting baby #2 and I'm not sure how to break the new to my very spoiled & year old son... It's been him for so long and he seems to be jeaous of anything smaller than him ie... lil cousins, friends babies, neighbors babies

SimplyJassy

Asked by SimplyJassy at 8:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We just told our kids and then I made sure to include them in the shopping and preparation as much as possible. They got to pick out the "coming home" outfit and they purchased a gift for the new baby. The new baby also bought them a small gift to give them on the day they were born. Our hospital offers a big brother/sister session that talks to them about the baby and includes them in the hospital aspect of your stay there. Basically, just try to include him as much as possible and he will be fine.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• sorry, we always just told our kids. it was never a big deal.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 8:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You could get him a shirt that says big brother and maybe try to find a book about getting a new sibling and tell him what an honor it is to be the big brother because the baby is going to love him so much and look up to him for a lot of things and then when the baby does get here you can give him a gift and say its from the new baby. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think you just need to tell him, and try to undo as much of the spoiling as you can before the baby comes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It was the same for us. #1 and #2 are 8 years apart. We just told him. He was extremely excited. Just wait until you are 20 weeks at least. The first time I told my son at 12 weeks I ended up having a miscarriage. It was awful.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We actually let my son pick out my younger son's middle name. I knew he would pick Thomas, it's always been his favorite name for some reason. He has always named his stuffed animals that. We included him in everything.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2011