Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is child care included in child support? Thanks. adult content

My ex husband provides child support for our 5 year old son. We're both working. My mom takes care of our son during weekdays while I'm at work. We have 50/50 custody. I would like to give my mom financial incentive for taking care of our son instead of taking our child to a daycare. Is it right to ask my exhusband to contribute to the financial incentive I'd like to give to my mom? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • I would talk to him and find out what his preference is in terms of weekday care. If he wants your mom to keep taking care of your son, then a financial incentive seems fair if she needs it to continue doing it. If he doesn't believe in paying family, he may prefer a daycare.

    Answer by Nonoluna at 8:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Mine was written with it as a separate expense. He had to pay child support and then continue to pay for her preschool for the rest of the year. When I started work he was responsible for a certain amount/month to go towards child care expenses. But it was all written out in our court order.

    Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Only if it was court order. you can get it added by getting an admidment

    Answer by sued0111 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • I think that my girlfriend receives half the amount of the child care from her ex. It still comes in her child support payments, but it is separate from the base child support (added to her child support card just the same....garnished just the same...but listed as a different expense for their records so it comes on top of her normal support). Her mother does watch her son too, and I believe when she filed she had to take a statement from her mother in that showed the amount they agreed to and the number of hours per week.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • When ex and I divorced the judge ordered him to pay his share of child care expenses. It was based on income just like child support and the law states if you earn under a certain amount of money then both parents become responsible for the day care bill. My ex was ordered $281 in cs and $375 in day care a month.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Read an additional answer here.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.