Moms of sibling teenagers, can i get a glance into the future?

what is it like having multiple teenagers under your roof? i am freaking out a little about what my future holds because i have three daughters with a total of 39 months between youngest & oldest. needless to say it's going to be one big ball of hormones & emotions when that time comes. i wasn't the best teenager myself & you know the old saying "it comes back to you three times fold" well per kid that would be 9 times fold.. AHH! lol

if you could give some advice to a mom who will someday be entering the teen years with her kids.. what would it be?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My advice would be...pick your battles. Not everything is worth fighting over. And also, have a good sense of humor. You're going to need it :)
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I had 3 teens at one time, 2 boys and 1 girl, and we had very few problems with them. Their dad and I were pretty strict parents, so by the time the children reached their teens, they were very familiar with the rules, which did not change much and very gradually. By the way, they are today all fine adults.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If they are like mine, they'll try to manipulate you every day. I just stayed consistent and firm, and when they got out of the teens they transformed into what I call human beings again.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Set your rules up ahead of time , discuss it with them at they hit that stage----and hold on to your hat-----and definitely pick your battles---a clean room is not that big a deal unless you get varmints in there----but do say that having a tidy room allows you to have friends over---that often speaks for itself. And on cell phones----you do have control of that---make sure you have a plan that can turn off text messaging during school hours and at bedtime---a lot of teens nowadays get very little sleep because someone is always texting them all night----and make them use a regular alarm clock instead of the cell phone----maybe even make it a rule that cell phones go on the charger in your room where you can keep an eye if it is missing. And it is best to have your girls have their friends hang out at your house. Be wary of stayovers---call that Mom and make sure they are doing what they say-/
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 8:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Continuing----I work in a high school and I hear lots of things from the kids----like they don't think I can hear ? Even the 'good' kids do stuff that might just totally shock you. And be open with your girls----talk about sex and the consequences and tell them if they are going to have sex, you would prefer that they be on birth control---and emphasize that the boy has to wear a condom as a double protection---sure they will Yuck----but please to this.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 9:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• say what you mean,and mean what you say. My kids are always testing me to see if I'll change my mind.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• @lecates, birth control in teens is a very controversial subject these days. some parents believe it gives them permission to have sex, while others believe it's a necessary precaution for preventing teen pregnancy. my mom was always open with me about sex, and i was comfortable enough to go to her at 17 when i became active & we went together so i could get on the pill. im hoping to have that same relationship and open-ness with them when that time comes. i fully support birth control in sexually active teens.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011