At what age do you think is appropriate to start talking to your kid about sex?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 9:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Whenever it becomes an issue. .. such as when your young one walks in on you.. just age appropriate. All of my children have an awareness that is what I consider appropriate for their age. My 4 yr old understands it is what makes a baby (we're expecting) but not really the mechanics. My older (13) child knows the complete birds and bees with emphasis on the emotional attachment and the consequence.. and of course my moral/religious views on it.

Good luck it can be a difficult topic but depends on how you've set up the children for this talk.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Every child is different...I have 8 children and they have all learned at different times. I think we must begin early on to help them understand the "No Zones"...from there they learn that it is not ok for others to touch them there. Child preditors are on the rise and no child is safe. As far as the "Brds and Bee's".. I think 9-10 is a good age. Although we are seeing alot of 10-12 yr old getting pregnant. At our school last year we had a 12 yr old pregnant...so it is hard to say!
    ChuckiesGirl

Answer by ChuckiesGirl at 9:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• we start sex -ed round 5
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 9:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• We started very early. I didn't want my twin sons touching their sister (who's 8 years older) in inappropriate areas.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I hate to say but the early the better kids these days are nOthing like what we where probably age of 12 yrs old i would because i can take here to get the vacine thats out i want to protect my daughter.
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Any age is appropriate as long as it is kept at their level..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You don't have "a talk" or "the talk" you have lots and lots of talks all throughout their life. You start early on by teaching them the right names for their parts and about privacy. You continue that as they get older, always teaching them new things and talking to them about how their body works, but keeping it at their level. As they get older, they'll feel comfortable talking to you about the things they hear at school and with their friends.
    You should always prepare them earlier than they will hear it with friends, and believe me, kids know more than you think they do. I remember a girl when I was 6 talking about people touching privates. By the time I was 12, girls in my class were already having sex. So you need to start early, keep it their level, be honest, and don't be afraid. They WANT and NEED the correct information. Talking about it won't make it happen, but it will help them be educated about it.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't think there is a specific age. I think that it should be as soon as they start showing signs of puberty or as they are going into highschool when sexx is a serious issue.
    mamacam7

Answer by mamacam7 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• we start early with our DD's but with each one it has been a different age, I want them to know they can be comfortable coming to me and talking about anything.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• A series of age appropriate talks starting at a young age. My older kids were 4 & 6 when I became pregnant with DS2. It was just natural that they had questions. So I gave them basic answers, which satisfied them - for a time. The talks have progressed over the years as their bodies and hormones have changed.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011