Need help keeping 3 yr old in bed after Mom's injury

Hi,

I need a simple, easy to follow idea to keep my 3 year old daughter in bed at night. I also need ideas for getting her back in bed when she wakes in the middle of the night.

It needs to be something that my dh can carry out or when necessary with the help of my 15 yr old dd.

I have a serious injury to my arm due to a fall and I can not have her climbing into my bed. I am wearing a special brace and am needing help to get in and out of bed. I am also on strong medication.

Before all this my dd had gotten in the habit of climbing into my bed in the middle of the night for the past 2 weeks.

She is the youngest of 5 and had a has quite the temperament but is very intelligent and has good communication skills.

I need something very straight forward so I can tell dh if she does A you do B. Also wondering if a bedtime chart or rewards would help. Anything even a little out of the box.

Thanks for reading this and any suggestions or comments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• For my two year old we have a gate in his doorway. His room is on the second floor and I don't need him falling down the stairs when I'm sleeping. It works well for us. He doesn't even bother getting up at night and I can hear him no problem when he wakes up in the morning. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• thanks :-)

We tried putting a gate up but she climbed it. She's a persistent little thing, lol. I did the gate thing with her siblings and it worked pretty good. DD keeps things interesting here. :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• if she gets up, have dh put her back and tell her that she needs to be a big girl and sleep in her bed. tell her once before she goes to bed and then just just keep puttng her back..set a chart up so she gets a sticker for staying in bed all night unless she has to pee, and when she has x amount of stickers, get her something. explain the chart to her to.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If one gate is being climbed, you can "stack" them. With pressure gates, just put the second one up where the first one ends! Makes a screen door effect!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011