Nursing mama returning to work, needs your input

Hi ladies
I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old. I've been lucky enough to stay home with them, but now I'm returning to work part time. I'm terrified about daycare!!! My boys have NEVER been with anyone except my mom, and only a few times. I have so many questions and concerns......how to find a great daycare/preschool, my baby is strictly bf, so I will be pumping to continue that but do I request they give him his milk in a bottle or a cup... I don't want to create a problem with a bottle that I will have to break soon since he is almost a year old, plus he does not really ever take a bottle.
I'm sure there are a lot more concerns I'm forgetting, but any one who has been through this PLEASE give me some words of wisdom and comfort to ease my guilt and make this transition as easy as possible on all of us!
Thanks so much for your time!!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 9:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly your youngest is 9 mos old... you will be fine with bottles and vice versa. I had to do it after 6wks and it is completely doable. Mags and sites try to make you feel like it will be impossible but it won't. A lot depends on YOUR attitude not your childs as they will pick up cues from your behavior and really run with them.. haha. So, feel confident, try a pump and see how you like it - get some milk in the freezer and don't worry mamma.. all will be well!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• As a peer nursing mother councilor, I always suggested to moms that if their child was over 6 months and they had to introduce something - that something should be a cup. Please do practice pumping. I had lots of problems letting down for a pump. Also, your DS may never take expressed milk from you. He'll smell it in your breasts and want it fresh. I know of a LO who never took to drinking expressed milk. The caregiver ended up mixing with cereal and that's how they got it while mom was working. (At 9 months, you've got lots of options.)

Best thing you can do is to take DS to daycare before you start back to work and see how things go, 9 months is when stranger anxiety starts to peak so it might be a bit rougher than at a younger age. This should end around 18 months.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• He's fine with a cup, we introduced one around 5 or 6 months, but never have we put expressed milk into it. He has taken a few bottles from my husband, but maybe only 5 or 10x since he was born. I have a pump and do occasionally pump. I'm fortunate that I don't have a problem pumping, but I have not done so in months. I just did not know if people gave their children expressed milk from a cup at this age (when mom is not around) It does not seem like the cup is designed to "soothe" him, like a bottle may, when he's trying to go to sleep. As far as anxiety, I already know that initially he will have a tough time with that he's such a mama's boy, but I'm hoping that it will get easier every day for both of us.
    Julians_Momma

Comment by Julians_Momma (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2011