I need some toddler bed advice.

i need some advice on my 15 mth old daughter.

We switched to a toddler bed, and at first she was doing just fine... But now, she is climbing out of bed just to sleep on the floor.

I found her under her bed, and crying because she couldn't get out, then later i found her sleeping on top of the heat vent, and later i woke up to hr crying half asleep on the floor having hit her head on the dresser.

Is it just gonna take time? I mean i'm ok with it if getting up and putting her back in bed will get her to understand ... or is there something more i should be doing? Are there any tricks?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Charisma88

Asked by Charisma88 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Purely IMO, 15 months seems very young to be in a toddler bed....? My twins went over to toddler beds at 20 months, only because one was able to climb out of hers and into her sister's and more scarily on top of the tall dresser from the edge of the cot rails. Otherwise I would've left it til they were two at least.
    Only advice I can give you is to put matress on the floor and put the frame away til she's too big to squeeze under. My two muck around something terrible and fall asleep all over the room, but I just make sure that I put them back in their own beds so they at least wake up in the right place, and hopefully they'll get the message eventually!
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 9:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm a grandmother, but when my own kids were small, I never used a toddler bed. Each one of the four of them, 3 boys and 1 girl, went from crib to twin-size bed. You can try reading her books about being a "big girl" sleeping in a "big" bed or maybe rewarding her with a sticker on a calendar every time she stays in her bed. It sounds like she may not be aware of getting out of bed either. If she goes back to sleep once you put her back in, then you're doing the right thing by putting her back in. It does take time for a little one to get used to changes. In the meantime, however, you may have to re-arrange her room or baby-proof it in some way so if she does get out to sleep on the floor, she won't hurt herself. You can also try putting a blanket on the floor next to her bed so she won't stray far from her bed. I can't even imagine how she fit under a toddler bed! Be creative and good luck!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son went into a twin bed at 18 months because I was pregnant and due 2 days before his second birthday, so 15 months might not be to early, What we did was put on side of the bed against the wall and then the other side had a rail on it.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534602&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85216&subCategoryId=117476

I only used one because we had the other side against the wall.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I started my son in a toddler bed at age 18 months. He did roll out of bed and occasionally climbed out to sleep in the padded rocking chair in his room. But eventually he stopped and now is sleeping in his bed with no problems. He just learned to stay in the bed.
    laceyharris

Answer by laceyharris at 10:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2011