Does being pretty really matter?

I get tired of hearing you could be a pretty girl/woman if you would just lose some weight... or wear makeup.. or dress more like...
(not from my husband, he likes me as I am)
Why does it matter if I am pretty? I am happy and I am working on my weight, for my health, not to be "pretty"

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• .....i feel prettier when i think i look prettiier...hair done , make up done , dressed nice etc.....its all up to you not what others think of you, if ur comfortable the way u are then why change?
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It matters to some people. If it doesnt matter to you then dont let it get to you. For me I enjoy looking nice, dressing nice, and getting compliments, not just for myself but also for my daughters.

Answer by gemgem at 9:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It matters how you feel. If you feel pretty that is what is important.

I do my hair and wear makeup for me, I feel pretty.

At first my hubby did not like the makeup he liked a clean face but he saw I didn't over do it so now he likes to see me do my hair and makeup.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There's no right answer to that question, it's a bit like saying "Is milk delicious". It's what you think that counts. So long as you know in your heart that it doesn't matter to YOU, then no, it doesn't matter. If others' opinions of you is fundamental to your well-being, then yes, throughout your life it will be an issue and therefore important.
    When I was at school, I was really overweight and I heard all those things that you hear. Through stress and bereavement (and some subconscious university peer pressure too I guess) I lost a lot of weight and ended up looking like the person "everyone wanted me to be". The people who wanted to befriend me were so fickle, they just saw someone that made them look good to be with. 12 years on and three children later and I'm more than happy to choose clothes and hair styles that are EASY and COMFORTABLE. My MIL is always on my back but I'm HAPPY!! :o)
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 9:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Also I know over weight women who do take care of them selfs and they do look very pretty, you should not have wait to lose weight to dress well.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Unfortunately, in today's world if you don't look like a Barbie doll, you're considered fat.  I don't buy that.  It's what's on the inside that counts.

vkzsmom10

Answer by vkzsmom10 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• For me it does.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• What's most important is how you feel about yourself, in your heart of hearts. If, truly, your appearance doesn't matter to you (apart from being healthy) then don't even worry about it. Those who love you, love your spirit, not just your 'outer shell'.

But honestly, to most of our society, appearances matter. If you don't look healthy and well groomed, you are not as well perceived. Your insides are what matter most, but your outside matters too. Not that you have to be a fashion icon, or a natural beauty; but we all should look well cared for.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• your confidence is what shows your true beauty and if people are commenting it's probably because they feel you lost yours. you may be happy with some areas of your life, but look at yourself in the mirror.. do you like what YOU see? are you confident in who YOU, as an individual, are? be completely honest with yourself. if you feel beautiful, then thats all that matters.. if you can be honest and admit you don't feel beautiful, then you may see what others are talking about.

pretty doesn't mean super model beauty.. pretty confidence and taking care of yourself, your friends are just concerned.. perhaps you need to truly look inside and see why. often times our inner feelings are reflected onto the outside
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011