Car question

I drive a Mustang, it is a V6 and I love it. It has some problem but nothing a few hundred bucks would fix. My son gets his license this week and his car will be on the road at the same time. He will be driving a V8 Camaro. Obviously with gas prices being what they are dh & I know we will be the ones putting gas in my sons car because even though son works, insurance for his car is $145 a mth. He brings home around $180 every two weeks.

Before tax time I told dh maybe we should look into a small car, like a VW golf or a Ford Fiesta for me because I dont really drive alot so a tank would probably last me all month at 40mpg. He said no no and came up with 110 reasons why we cannot get the car. Now though, he wants me to give my Mustang to my son, and go buy a new car for myself, and than in 4-5 yrs when it is paid off give that car to my now 10 yr old who will be ready for a car.
Does anyone think this is a good idea? Should I be angry that I suggested this same thing last month and got laughed at?

Asked by gemgem at 10:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Men like the idea better when they think it was thiers. Just go with it and just think you will get a new car.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If you give DS your car, he should also take over the payments in my opinion. DS shouldn't have a car if he cannot afford one. That's how I was brought up.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with your logic on getting an economical car. Giving the Mustang to your son makes no sense, however. I agree with the pp though about your son being responsible for the running costs of HIS car. If he's old enough to have a car he should shoulder the economic responsibility of it.

Your dh isn't seeing the big picture, is he?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• MY dh isnt going to make my son pay for anything. I had 4 kids from a previous marriage when we got married. This son (17) has high functioning Autism and has bonded like a son to my dh along with my 10 yr old. I have said no to alot of things regarding the car situation with my son, but my dh over rides my decision. I dont know why. I also dont work, he does, and I think he figures since its his money if he wants to help my son he should be able to without asking me. It really has gotten to be not worth the argument. All I know is if he does this then I am giving th 18 yr old the Camaro (he has no car).

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• How can a sixteen year old afford gas and insurance?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• He has a job.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011