If the question doesn't apply to you, why do you answer it?

I'm one of those moms that's really lucky. I get free time. I only have one child and we have a small apartment. We eat a lot of veggies and raw food, so I don't have to 'slave' over a hot stove. So when I ask questions on here, asking about what people do for free time and whatnot...why would you even bother answering if it doesn't apply to you. "I'm a mom, I don't have free time." Ok, I'm sorry you're so busy...why are you answering this question, it doesn't apply to you! I'm sorry, I just had to get that off my chest!

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• People love to martyr themselves. Whether it was when DS was a baby/toddler and I was a SAHM, when I went back to work FT, or where I am now in school full time and working freelance part time, I've always had "free time". Through all of that, DS has taken naps, had a consistent bed time, and as he was older, gone to school. DH has always been a co-parent, in terms of child care and keeping up with the house. I know I'm not unique, because I know enough other mothers with kids varying in number and age who have the same experience. Admitting that doesn't earn nearly as many pity points, though, and if they aren't getting enough on their own, they're going to seek out questions like yours to try and squeeze out some extra (apparently using up more of their non-existent free time to do it).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Maybe they do it for the points, IDK...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• As long as they're not being rude,what does it matter really?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I bet they do it for the points too. but sometimes if i want to know the answer also i will say that so i can find it again to see what the other answers are.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Usually it's for the points..or they're pulling the holier-than-thou crapola.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• LOL I dont know why people do that but I have seen it in other questions too. Congrats on your free time though. All my kids are in school & I get alot of free time myself. I completely enjoy it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I've been known to say things like, "I'm not sure but here's a bump" or "good question, I hope you find an answer!" if a support issue and they're going through something rough. But its the whole "this doesn't apply to me and you're a bad person for having to ask this" vibe that I get that really drives me nuts.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• They ARE being rude, though. That's my issue with it.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That's the phrase I was looking for! Holier than thou!
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Its hard to get the righttone sometimes when you type out an answer. I'm betting that some that you'd consider rude are actually not meant in a rude manner

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2011