Prayer...

I as a believer of the power of prayer, say that prayer does not do any good in trying to change a homosexual, because it is implied that there is something wrong with who they are, and most of them don't believe there is anything wrong with being YOU. There have been a few who have tried, and ended up going back and being proud of who they were, it set them free.
What says you?

Asked by older at 10:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Well I don't believe int he power of prayer other than it gives teh person praying some comfort but doesn't really achieve anything.. So praying for a homosexual is futile, it's not going to change them. Not to mention there is nothing wrong with a person being homosexual.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I say if you're gay you should be proud and love who you are. If your loved one is gay, you should be proud and love them for who they are! There is never a reason to think about whether or not prayer will or could change someone from being gay because they and you should simply embrace who they are without question!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am not religious, but I do believe that there is something to be said for positive thinking, whether in the form of prayer, meditation, or just focusing on the good.

That said, I have to say that I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with homosexuals that needs to be "fixed".  If they are unhappy with their lives, which is understandable with so many people ostracizing them and unable to accept that homosexuality is as natural a state for some as is heterosexuality, then I think prayer, in some form, might help them to accept themselves and develop a positive outlook--in spite of any negativity around them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I personally don't believe prayer does much more than serve as a kind of meditation or communication - I don't believe God actively interferes in our lives to change things. Sure, someone can find comfort through prayer, and can "Change" through prayer, but I believe that's more of a self motivated thing, rather than a God giving you the answers or doing it for you kind of thing, if that makes sense...

That being said, I don't believe that there's anything wrong with being gay and am completely against homosexuals being treated as though they need to be cured or "fixed". - I guess I should have just dittoed jsbenkert, lol, because I realize now that I'm saying the same thing she said (I don't often read the other answers first, just happened to look up and see it, lol)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Positive thinking/prayer/whatever you want to call it is internal. Your brain will release chemicals in response to your own physical condition, which can be directly impacted by what you are thinking or feeling. It does nothing for another person - meditating on a positive or hopeful thought until your heart rate slows and you feel calm does nothing for someone else. Even if being gay were "fixable" and not a hard wired characteristic, someone else praying about it wouldn't make a difference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I believe that prayer only affects the person who is doing the praying. It gives them a sense that they are doing something to ''help'' the situation, even if they really cannot do anything about it. Praying for somebody, whether it be for a sick person, a person who has not yet found God, or for a homosexual person, is not going to make the person ''better''. It's just making you, the person praying, feel better. You can pray all you want as far as I'm concerned, but truthfully, you aren't making a difference and are not going to change anybody's mind by doing so.
    Homosexuals do not need to be ''fixed''. They need to be supported for the people they are, not told they need to change because it's ''wrong''. They are not less than human because they happen to love somebody of the same sex. They are just as human as everybody else and need to be treated as such.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 4:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Prayer cannot change anyone. That is not up to you. You can pray that they find guidance, acceptance and peace but you cannot make it happen. Prayer is good for focusing your energy where it needs to go and seeing that things will be just fine because the more you say it, believe it and think it, the more it will happen but that doesn't mean you can change people
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Older, I'm not going to give you my opinion on this, because we have discussed it already, however, I do have a question for you. I haven't heard yet, how is your daughter? Is she doing ok with her pregnancy? I know there were some issues last week,and I haven't heard any updates. Hope I'm not being too personal.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• cbk, my daughter had a miscarriage but once her body settles she is going to try again, as long as it takes.....thanks for asking, she will be ok, she has got a good support system.

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear that. Just know, you all,and especially she and her partner will be in my prayers. God bless you all.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011