What do you do?

I'm trying to spend more time with sd because she'll be at her mom's this summer. We've done a few things, started a garden,went to the park, but she gets bored easy and I have to take ds about everywhere we go bc of dh's work schedule. He's 14 mos, she's 9 1/2, also we're on a budget. We're taking a family vacation in May to the beach but I'm really looking for everyday stuff. I want her to have fun bc she lives with us and in the midst of school/chores we can't usually be the fun house

tirelessefforts

Asked by tirelessefforts at 10:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• You can do alot of things at home. You can go buy a fun video game and play it together. My dd's always liked the dance games & singing games. You can go to the craft store or walmart in the craft section and pick up some things there. Last summer me and dd painted a bird house together. I got the kit at walmart for $10. You can get beads and make bracelets and necklaces. You can teach her how to sew, knit or crochet. There are lots of things you can do with your kids at home on a budget.

Answer by gemgem at 10:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I like the jewelry idea! Also the crocheting idea. You could also just go to the mall and hang out and window show. My stepmom and i used to window shop all the time then we'd go get ice cream.

I think its awesome you want to spend so much time with her!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 10:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Projects are really fun, and it gives her something to look forward to :) I love the crochet idea and jewelry, perhaps you could teach her to sew if you do that. I am quilting, and my oldest DD is doing one right along with me. She is 8, and she loves being in on Mommy's hobby. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would try baking with her or doing your nails together. MY DD is 9 and she loves doing things like this. I let her do my hair and we even color together. We also put music on and dance around the house. Sometimes when I am cleaning she likes to help me with that as well. I would try talking to her and see if there is something she would like to do. See what interests her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• just be there. just be the rock she can always count on. just listen to her stories, have family dinners, be interested in her. you dont have to be fun 24/7 that isnt what kids want/need. they just need to know that they are really loved for who they are, that in the chaos of divorce that they are loved and no one will 'divorce' them or leave them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my dd and I just looked up cute hairstyles on youtube. She had alot of fun watching the videos and picking which style she wanted to try. We also play ball in the yard, go for a nature hike and make a bouquet when we get home. We read joke books together, we watch cupcake wars and then go in the kitchen and try to make our own cupcakes with no recipe. WE just use 1 cake mix and divide it into 3 bowls and add different stuff to each bowl and see how they turn out. We leave them for my husband to pick his favorite one.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2011