Spoiled 2 year old *crying*

So i alredy know that you can't spoil a baby under the age of one, so i bared through it thinking that it will all be over soon. By all means, I tried to sleep train her, I don't allow her to do things that she isn't suppose to do, she understand the word "no" but she's almost 2 now and she's still so spoiled! I don't know what to do anymore, i'm at my wit's end. Last night she refused refused refused to go to sleep, woke up several times after she did go to sleep and hollered to go downstairs so i finally caved (desperate for sleep) and laid down infront of the tv and let her watch the screen until she fell asleep. But it's get ridiculous and I need a solution. does ANYONE have any advice??? please!!!!

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she obviously doesnt really need anything. so id say and it might be a couple of sleepless nites but let her cry it out. eventually she will get tired and go to sleep. as for everything else during the day dont let her get her way all the time and also start using time out. and if she throws a tanturm just let her sit there and ignore it until it stops then start the time on her time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You have to be firm and consistent. Once they realize that you're not going to let them have their way, the screaming and crying will go away for the most part. Consistency is the key, though. If you give in one time, you undo all the hard work you did before that point. There are always emergencies or existential circumstances, but for the most part, try to stay consistent. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• every time you cave, you show her that her crying is working...it's getting her what she wants.....i'm not suggesting ignoring her, but I would go up and say When you stop crying, then we can talk....she's only two so expressing herself isn't great....but there may be something ...up....you never know....i don't agree with letting them cry it out....but i won't answer to crying either....this method teaches appropriate expression...it may not get her to sleep right away...you can work on that later....first get the crying to stop and her to react in a more appropriate manner ! AND when she does express not wanting to sleep at that moment, or needing to be with you, or whatever, you can set boundaries...ok, you can come downstairs, but there's no t.v. if you're downstairs with me, you will be helping me with a load of laundry....or you will be colouring at the table...but no t.v. falling asleep by t.v is a bad idea.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• ....eventually as time goes on, you can start restricting more, putting time limits on her time downstairs (even setting a timer works wonders)...then shortening that time....and ALWAYS reward the behaviour you're wanting....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• She knows you will cave eventually. I had the same issue with my daughter she is now 3yrs & a few mos. She still acts spoiled but I am trying to re direct her way of behaviour or thinking. Now that she is older to understand more its getting better. The only thing you can do about it is be the one to last longer then her, if she wants to scream for the tv then let her for however many hours it takes (I spent hours no joke listening to screaming & I wanted to cave so bad but you just have to muscle through). It gets easier (in some ways) at the next year but other things got harder lol Its all apart of being a mom I guess!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• oh yeah help her understand her feelings. When she is upset describe how she is feeling to her. This will help her to eventually express how she is in words. I did it with my daughter from very early & now she will tell me she is upset & says "I just need to calm down" as she cries lol We still have our meltdowns but she knows the steps to make it better & always works towards calming herself down sometimes its only five minutes time other times half hour haha but its apart of being little.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• as hard as it is you need to stick to your guns. If you put her to bed and she is screaming I would go in there and tell her it is time for bed. I would not let her get out of her room no matter how loud she gets. It might take a night or two, although once she realizes she isn't going to get her way it should get better.

Also try visual tools. We did a jar with colored marbles. If they behaved, did their choirs and such they would get a marble. If they misbehaved or didn't listen then we would take a marble away. After "X" amount of marbles they got special treat like going for ice cream or having their favorite dinner.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am currently transitioning a 17 month old to his toddler bed from my bed in his own room...1st night - led him by hand to his bed 30 times...it's frustrating but necessary...then i leave the room. He cried and cried but finally fell asleep. 2nd night...same routine less times...at one point I laid there with him. And so on and so...YOU CAN DO THIS!
    dailykidz

Answer by dailykidz at 2:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011