Is having a big family another one of the luxuries only rich people are granted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think people should have children that they can't reasonably expect to be able to afford to raise. If a person needs to be rich in order to afford the number of children they want to have, then yes I guess it would be a privilege only for the rich in that case.

The rich have many privileges that poor people don't, that's nothing new. It goes with the territory.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• plenty of low income families are large
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't think so. If you understand that you will have to make sacrifices to have a large family then I think anyone can do it.!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I dont believe so. There are many larger families who are doing just fine. You just have to find what really is important in life (meaning do you really need that many material things) & cut down on all the rest, it can be done.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No I dont think so. I have 5 kids and 2 grandkids and my husband works at a factory. I was raised in a wealthy family and was an only child (although my mom did also raise my cousin he is like my brother). Granted my situation is different, if I ever absolutely need something its a phone call away, but we try to do it on our own. I also know many families in my area who dont have the phone call away option and live on one factory wage salary and have 3 or more kids.

Answer by gemgem at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I guess it depends on what you consider large. I think of anything over 1 child as "large" and I have 3. My friend has 7. Neither of us are "rich" in fact we both would qualify for the title of "low income" by most people's standards. But nature decided we needed large families.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have 5 kids and I wouldn't consider having a large family a luxury. You just have to decide what is more important. The 600 dollar per month food bill or the 600/month car payment, the 300/month on activities or 300/month on more square footage for your house. It is a choice.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• nah. I have plenty of poor/middle class friends with 3+ kids.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Not at all, I have a big family (7 of us) and we are not rich!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Large famlies are not exclusive to the rich. Many large famlies are poor because the family is so large.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2011