When should I start marinating the steaks for dinner? & Can i substitute for vinegar?

The recipe on the marinating packet calls for vinegar, but we have none, can I use something else? If not, what do you suggest I marinate them in, since I have no vinegar.....

& We eat dinner at 7, should I start marinating them now?

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• yes, start marinating now!

no vinegar, no worries....all you need is to rub a small amount of oil into the steaks and sprinkle on some seasonings.....hubby is a chef, that is how he taught me to cook a really good steak.....but you can also use vinegarette-type salad dressings like Italian or Greek, or Sundried tomato and basil....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I have itialian dressing (but it's the spray kind) will that work?
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You should start marinading them now.

Substitute equal parts saltwater , another kind of vinegar (apple cider is great)/
    Noinix

Answer by Noinix at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Ewww... Marinade with vinegar. Haven't done that. How about worsashire sauce. (sp) We don't marinade. We pan sear in olvie oil, with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then I make a red wine sauce or a cream sauce out of the pan I used.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I can't see why the spray dressing wouldn't work...go for it !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yeah usually we just use soy & worcestershire sauce and I only marinate mine for "maybe" an hour before hand but you could let them sit in it all day if you wanted...

We have used italian or caesar vinegrette styles before too for something different
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would start now and I would use the italian dressing
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Uh, vinegar IS in just about every marinade anon. It's pretty common. Yes you can use italian dressing, that would work the same. I use Italian dressing to make chicken too! ANd guess what, it has vinegar! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Well I used the marinate rub, italian dressing, and even threw in some lemon juice in there (we looooove lemons) so hopefully it taste as good as it smells lol.....if not, we will just drown it in steak sauce HAHA
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I knew someone who used Italian dressing or Zesty Italian for steaks. I like to make a rub. Like sea salt, cumin powder, and garlic powder. Just rub it on thick about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Use a marinate about 3 hours prior.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011