My son is almost 4 and I was wondering about adhd meds ?

Do other moms have their children this young on them ... ? And please do not bash .. As his special ed preschool teacher is the one who has asked for me to have him evaluated .

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 11:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No not at that age. There is way too much over diagnosing at that age and your special ed teacher is not medically trained. Only a pediatrician can tell you for sure. I never medicated mine until I really had to. I let them be kids as long as I could. Lots of times boys get funneled into the adhd category for being boys. My one son was diagnosed with it, it was a misdiagnosis btw, and he was on meds only when he got into middle school. Before that we found other ways to handle him.

Answer by gemgem at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Sorry, but I think that is too young for meds and to be disgnosed with ADHD. There is nothing with getting him evaluated because he may not even have ADHD, it could be something else. BTW, in a lot of states it is illegal for a teacher to specify a disorder to have a child evaluated for. Special ed teacher or not, they are not qualified. They can give you questions to ask and what symptoms they see but cannot tell a specific disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My niece is 5 and adhd meds is working wonders for her, no side affects either.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Way too young. Do your research before teachers who are not medically trained try to diagnpse your son as needing medication. I understand ADHD. Sometimes I think we are popping pills in our kids too much for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would try some sort of therapy before you go to meds. While some kids may not have any side effects right now.....you don't know about 10 or 20 years later. Everyone thought Ritalinwas safe for a long time and now they say it's not. There are a lot of options to help with ADHD symptoms that don't include drugs. I think medication should a last resort option and that's only if the child in question is really struggling with daily activities.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I held off on medicating my son until he was about 6 or 7 y/o. I wanted to use behavior modification & a reward system, along w/ plenty of chances for him to burn off some energy. There are lots of boys that age that just simply have a lot of energy to spare. However, once they are in school & grades come into play, then a good working relationship w/ the teacher is very important. We worked out a daily behavior chart & I've seen many other kids who are on those as well. Some are against the use of medication, but it truly can be helpful. It's not like drugging a kid so you dont have to deal w/ him. It's just another tool to help them. (& it will take some adjustments to the dosage at first) My son benefitted from the efforts we made & went on to graduate 3rd in his class w/ a 4.4 GPA. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• They are always side effects. You may not see them until they are older but, there are ALWAYS side effects. Don't be concerned with what the teacher wants, they want a quiet easying going child. A four yr old is not supposed to sit quietly.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I personally am not going through that but have a good friend who works in the public school system trying to help special needs kids and kid with discipline issues find resources and tests them for placement in classes and she would advise you to not listen to the teacher.
    Bc they are not trained and in her words "a medicated child with behavioural issues is more easy to control in the classroom but that doesn't mean you treated his issues, you just drugged him." In otherwords, yes, some kids have adhd and need the meds.
    But she keeps seeing a disturbing trend in teachers wanting kids medicated for it, simply to cope w the large classroom size and behavioural issues disrupting their attempts to get the class to pass the performance tests (which if they don't get satisfactory test results, they lose their jobs sometimes).
    According to her, many kids who don't have adhd can have other issues which the meds wouldn't fix.
    PolPrairieMama

Answer by PolPrairieMama at 11:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son is already in ot for sensory and behavior .. And I suppose they are thinking he is like his older brother that is pdd nos as well as adhd and sensory .... I havent asked his dr yet because I just wanted to see if others have their children at this age .. but his teacher has told us that many children are labeled and do not really have it .. But in his case she beloved he would benefit from it.
    bwsmommy

Comment by bwsmommy (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think 4 is too young to diagnose ADHD.
    There are behavior interventions that might help.
    Out of curiosity, you said he has a special education teacher. What is his diagnosis? There are a lot of other things that could be going on that might mimick ADHD behavior.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2011