Inconsistant visitation/baby on hunting trip

My son is 22 months old. His dad is inconsistant with visitation, has been since he was born. This weekend was first time he has taken him since Halloweeen (yes, everything is documented).Well, good old dad decided to take our son wild boar hunting! I received text messages from him saying he had a wonderful time on his hunting trip, and photos, including one of dad with a gun and a dead animal and our son on atvs. I feel very strongly that a hunting trip is not safe for a baby, not even two years old. Is the inconstant visitation and hunting trip grounds for going back to court? I would like supervised at this point as I don't feel his head is right.

KimSanAntonio

Asked by KimSanAntonio at 11:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Id think so. I had joint custody with my oldest three and my ex showed up once or twice. And one time he showed up planning to take them somewhere I thought was inappropriate. I documented everything. After a year or so I filed for sole custody and I won. Just document everything.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It probably wouldn't be my first choice for daddy n' me time. But I don't know how that would fly in court. I'm just saying this because hunting is a HUGE deal out here, many people take their very small children hunting out here all the time. My 4 yo nephew goes dear hunting, pheasants and all. Been going since he was 2. Like I said, not fond of it, but it may not be seen as wrong in a judges eyes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• As the mommy, if this is something you dont approve of take it before a judge. There is no way I would be comfortable with this, oh heck no. I dont care if its hunting country or not. Besides, toddlers shouldnt be around guns period!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i think so... hunting is super dangerous! take his ass back to court
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think a hunting trip is too dangerous for a small child. Courts may not. I'd still just document and take to an attorney if you have one. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would definately give it a try. Even if the court feels that isn't enough it is worth a try, because you never know what the court will say.
    There are waaaaay too many things that could go wrong on a hunting trip with a child, especially a toddler. What if that child would've gotten ahold of that gun, or gotten something from being around the dead animal. (Virus, infection, disease. You don't know what they carry, especially to a suspetable toddler) I really think that you should definately take the photographs in to your lawyer and see what he thinks about getting the custody changed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I am not sure that the hunting would get you anywhere. There are plenty of parents who choose to do so with their children and do so safely. I am just not sure how far that will get you. Personally I think that it is great Father son time and he is actually spending time with him.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Im not sure youd get anywhere in court with that at least not if you live in louisiana and it sounds like it was a good bonding time for your son and his dad I wish my husband had that kind of time to do things like that with our son (hes 2.5 and hes been hunting with his uncles and a family friend around his 2nd birthday) if it realy bothers you id say something to his father not nicely!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If he is spending time with his son you cannot dictate what he does with him. Even it is hunting. As long as the proper precautions were to take the child hes fine. Judges do get irritated by parnts fighting over little things like this. His time , his choice. I would try and talk to the ex and tell him you dont feel comfortable with the child hunting first. I would not take this court as of yet. If you try to control the father too much he may back off even further from the child.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I sure would and would take the pix to show the Judge. The loud sounds from the guns are enough to damage the child's hearing.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2011