HELP! My BFF's entire household has a viral eye infection. What can she do?

It's really bad. The baby went to the ER and had a membrane removed from her eye and has an abrasion on her cornea. Both of them can't see, eyes are swollen shut. Doctor says there is nothing they can do. Is there anything I can tell her that might ease the discomfort or encourage quicker healing??

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Health

• clean hot wash rags on the eyes and keep hands really clean. Change pillow cases daily. Keep the face clean too. Maybe the adult can take oregano oil tablets. ..not sure if that helps the eyes but it is worth a try.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean there's nothing he can do? Bullshit! There are anti-biotics, anti-bacteria creams (don't try just any, medicated only from the doctor), and other things that they can do.

I agree. Warm wash rags placed over the eyes to help reduce the swelling. Keep heads propped up while sleeping to help the fluid moving and not swelling up in the eyes. They should wash their hands often and disinfect the house often. Keep their faces clean and washed well. Wash Bedding often, especially pillow cases. Don't re-wear clothing a second day in a row, wash it immediately after use.

They need to go to a different doctor and get a second opinion. There ARE things they can do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Jazz....the infection is VIRAL...They have already used all that stuff.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• i probably would try some home remenies and herbs always work good luck
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• And they were at one of the BEST pediatric units in the country.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• There aren't always things you can do for a VIRAL eye infections. Viruses aren't normally treated by antibiotics. They're resistant to them. However, there should be creams or drops that could relieve symptoms, I would think.

I woke up one morning convinced I had pink eye but it was just an additional symptom brought on my the lovely cold I had.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 12:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011