What can I do to get rid of/prevent the the hive-like bumps my daughter gets?

My daughter gets bumps that look like hives on her body and now for the first time her mouth area. They don't look like chicken pox. What is this from and how do I prevent it from happening again? She also has a low grade fever of 100.4F

Loraleis_Mommy

Asked by Loraleis_Mommy at 5:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does she eat?
    Anonymous

• She is 20 months old and she just tried cucumbers for the first time on Tuesday. She has had this happen once before and I thought it might be from eating too many blueberries. She hasn't had blueberries in awhile. Could this be from her getting her 2 year molars?
    Loraleis_Mommy

Answer by Loraleis_Mommy at 6:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I'd take her in for allergy testing, especially if the bumps are spreading to her mouth.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• She has a pretty bad diaper rash now too.
    Loraleis_Mommy

Answer by Loraleis_Mommy at 6:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• this sounds like she may be allergic to fruit. i am and every time i eat fruit i break out w/ hives, and my mouth/throat itches. tell ur doc he should send u to an allergy specialist, try not to give her any friut, and see if it still happens. hope things get better
    carimo

Answer by carimo at 12:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yeah- def sound like she's allergic to something. Time to see a dr, momma!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• From experience, I know they won't give allergy specific testing to a child that young. They will prescribe Benadryl. At least that's what my son's Dr. did. Maybe you have better insurance than we do... but they told me to wait it out.
    Colesmama11

Answer by Colesmama11 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Thank you so much everyone. I actually took her to Urgent Care this morning because she woke up and the rash had worstened. The doctor said she has a viral infection and the rash is part of the infection. I told him that she tried something new and he said that because of the fever and swollen tonsils that it was because of the viral infection. Thank you again for your thoughts.
    Loraleis_Mommy

Answer by Loraleis_Mommy at 4:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008