Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What's important to have included in divorce papers?

I'm thinking of things like visitation, braces, etc.


Asked by AlisonAstair at 12:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 18 (4,810 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • First right of refusal. That means before they go to a sitter you get called first so you can watch them, even on dads weekends.

    No overnight guests of the opposite sex who are not related. This insures no one has a flavor of the month or several coming in and out of the house while the kids are there.

    Day care costs split.

    All health care 50%. If he has insurance let him cover them & then split the cost for anything not covered by insurance including copays. Make sure it is worded to be enforced by child support enforcement so you dont have to file a small claims.

    Add police may assist in returning children if neither NCP or CP refuse. This is good so if theres an argument they have to bring the kids back and cant use them as a weapon.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • We added paying for college, extracricular activities, also things like right of first refusal. Make sure you have visitation clearly written out, spliting holidays and over the summer and such.

    Answer by kmath at 12:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Who gets to take the deduction for taxes. If you both work, every other year would work.

    Answer by Kimimale at 12:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Transportation, tax info, child support, visitation rights, holidays, day care... that's all I can think of right now.

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Definatley specify who gets to claim the kids on the taxes, this is the the one thing me and my ex are fighting about.

    Answer by 2breath2live at 9:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Who transports the kids to and from visitations?

    Answer by meooma at 12:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

  • Divorce or Parenting Plan for the divorce? You can google Parenting Plan but your attorney should be telling you what your state requires you to cover in your divorce. You can't get a divorce without an attorney if you have children together so don't be trying to do it yourself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

  • Visitation, transportation, holidays, tax deductions, health insurance, child support...

    The judge put in a clause re: higher education, which will be discussed as the kids are closer to college-age.

    Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2011