Do you think it's important for children to have pets?

AlisonAstair

Asked by AlisonAstair at 12:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes i do. it teaches responiblity, studies have shown that it helps prevent some allergies, and children are less prone to be scared of animals. the worst thing i see is when a child that has never been exposed to a dog or cat and if one walks by they are compltely petrified by it. there was a boy that used to walk by our house and if i happened to be out with my dog he would scream and beg his mom to pick him up. i finally asked about it and she told me he had never been around a dog because he was scared of them. that to me is the most horrbile thing you can do to a child.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No, but it's nice if you can.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes. All my kids were brought up with pets. Now the older ones know how to properly care for an animal and are not having to learn the basics as adults. I think it also teaches kids what they can and cannot do with animals they might encounter. My kids all know you shouldnt reach out to pet a dog for instance without knowing that dog. They also know not to pick up random strays.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• In my family yes. We have all kinds. It teaches them to respect animals, appreciate them, responsibilty. And also, when a pet dies it's a good introduction to life and death.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I don't think it's vital, but I think it's a good idea - especially for kids who do not have siblings. We got a dog for our daughter's 2nd birthday, and she loves her dog to pieces. Our daughter is 29 months, and she feeds her dog, gives her water, gives her treats, brushes her, plays with her, and always wants to hold the leash to take her outside.
    It's good for kids to learn to take care of something and be responsible for a living creature that relies on them.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes. My daughter is now 4 years old. A year and a half ago she'd run screaming from a mini dachshund or Pomeranian, even puppies. A year ago we adopted two cats (bonded brothers that HAD to go as a pair). Less than a month after we brought those guys home she was no longer afraid of dogs of ANY size. It was nearly an overnight change too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think that it is important to teach your children how to respect animals, how to treat and approach dogs and cats.
    But if you are thinking of a pet to teach responsibility, you can do the same with daily chores.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes, it's very good even if it's just a fish or a caterpillar. It does teach responsibility but it teaches other things. For instance, I got my daughter two beta fish for her forth birthday. They both ended up dying when we were gone in Florida so I used it as a way to teach her about death and how to deal with it. She was very upset but I talked her through it.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Only if they take care of them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2011