That dark line

that shows up up on your belly when you become pregnant. What is it? , And why is it there?

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have no idea. With mine, a few weeks after I had my kids I scrubbed it away with a buff puff!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I SAW MY DARK LINE I THOUGHT I WAS SEEING THINGs it was straight from belly button down by my tummy it was cool to see .
    monteza3

Answer by monteza3 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Linea nigra (Latin for "black line") is a dark vertical line that appears on the abdomen during about three quarters of all pregnancies.[1] The brownish streak is usually about a centimeter in width. The line runs vertically along the midline of the abdomen from the pubis to the umbilicus.[2]

It is a type of hyperpigmentation resulting from increased production of the pigment melanin thought to be caused by increased estrogen, the same process that causes the areolas to darken.[3][4] Why this process of hyperpigmentation occurs on the midline of the abdomen is uncertain. Fair-skinned women show this phenomenon less often than women with darker pigmentation[citation needed]. Before it appears it may be more faintly visible as a white line.[citation needed]

Linea nigra tends to appear around the second trimester. After birth, the line fades slowly, but may never disappear entirely, and sun exposure may cause it to recur.[4]
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son is 8 months and that line is still there.
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Some people say if you get it, you'll have a boy, and if you don't you'll have a girl....but it's just one of those gender prediction things that is only true 50% of the time lol.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• lol i got it with my girl and boy its so funny my husband always sits and stairs at it
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 2:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I didn't get it. I was so bummed! I wanted it!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I never got that line.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I thought all pregnant women got that line. Thats funny. I dont know why i thiought that.. Dani3lla.? why did your husband stare at it. Did he find it to be werid.. LMAo
    BUTTERFLY463

Comment by BUTTERFLY463 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011