Hey Pagan mamas, is this just me and DH, or have you ever noticed/thought this, too?

Ok, so I've been searching and searching for Marion Weinstein's books recently and couldn't find any that were affordable besides Kindle versions on Amazon (btw, if anyone has any that you'd like to sell, or if you happen to find Positive Magic or Earth Magic kind of cheap, please let me know!).

I've also noticed that I haven't seen any of the Farrar's books, or Gardner's or Budapest's books, or any of the other "old, big names" in book stores much anymore, and it's getting harder to find their books online as well (at least at a low price).

So is it just me and DH who think this, or does it seem like their books are being "phased out" and replaced by younger, more eclectic authors?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's more about the internet. People aren't buying the books because you can look it all up online for free. The older books have been quoted so many times over, even if you're morally opposed to downloading it for free in pdf form, you can pretty much piece it together quote by quote.

In my case, the version of the Eddas which is considered the best from the editorial standpoint was out of print for decades. Only in the past few years did they make a reprint and Kindle version of it available, and that took years of people writing the original publisher begging for it. In the meantime, though, it's always been available online on various websites (it's the version Sacred Texts uses on their site).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Id say they are probably being phased out for the "in" stuff. I think that happens quite often with many things.

Have you tried any used book stores like on Ebay and such? I got some great prices from there. I think the store I used was Half Priced books.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Book stores carry what sells. Newer books tend to sell better than older ones. So that's what the stores/sites carry. I however, rarely shop book stores, I prefer online options and have found that Amazon almost always has the best prices if you buy second hand. IF I am going to buy off line I go to Half Price or another second hand book store, I NEVER buy new!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I've searched ebay, Amazon, half.com, and a few others that I'm forgetting about. I can find some of them, but used copies usually start around $20, not including shipping.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Have you tried abebooks.com ? I don't know about those particular titles, but they have always been the cheapest around in my experience. And I don't think I have ever been there and not found what I was looking for.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• With some older books, I've actually found that Amazon sellers are higher than some other sites. Amazon is cheaper for the Kindle edition of some of the books I've been looking for, but I've been lucky to find one of them for less than $80 USED. It's ridiculous. I can't find a cheap copy anywhere and I can't figure out why. Do people really expect someone to pay $240+ for a paper back book that isn't very old? That's how much one of the books I'm trying to find is going for (again, used) on several sites.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I know you want to buy it but have you tried the library? Maybe you could take it out of the library til you can find it at a decent price.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I live in the Bible belt. There hasn't been a Pagan book in any of our surrounding libraries (I've checked all the ones within a 75 mile radius for various books) for almost 10 years. The only one they ever had was Bucky's big blue book, but it was stolen before I even moved here I think (which was about 9 years ago).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Chances are with the higher priced used books that it's no longer being published and is now rare which drives up the price. If you want it cheep you may have to settle for fair condition books.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2011