How do you feel about shock collars?

its getting to the point i dont know what to do i have always been against them but i know some people who it has worked for and they had it so low that it just got the dogs attention. what do you think what are other options?

blinkys11

Asked by blinkys11 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pets

• We have two GSP's and My husband used a shock collar on our Oldest Dog. I think they're great and a essestial device when training hunting dogs. We play to use it on our youngest when she gets old enough. At first I was skeptical about it, but after seeing how well behaved our dog is, it's got my vote. My husband used it respectfully and did not once abuse the device. So if you plan on using on, make sure you respect.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 1:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• For kids or dogs? haha kidding. Anyway, what are you using it for? Have you tried all options? Pet Smart has great training!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It depends on the dog. My mom had one on her Pomeranian to stop him from barking and it never worked. Didn't matter how much he got shocked, he just kept barking - in those cases, it's just pointless and cruel.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• For what barking or staying in the yard?
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 1:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My buddy has two pit bulls a boy and a girl. When he uses the shock collar on thegirl, she calms down and doesn't run off, but the boy will keep doing whatever hes doing no matter how many times you shock him. he would run past the yard and you could see him twitching from the collar but he would keep going lol. He eventually got rid of it since it wasnt working.
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You could always get a tie out with a long line at Petsmart they make the ones were they can not wrap themselves around the stake but if you have a lot of trees in your yard I wouldn't recommend it.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think its mean but you have to do what works for you.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• as long as you use it in conjuction with training. we had gotten one of those underground fences and it was just horrible. we did the whole video on it and everything but our lab would get the warning beep then keep going and get shocked well it scared her and she kept going but wouldnt get back in the barrier because she was scared she was going to get shocked again. after a few days she wouldnt leave the porch. so we gave up on that. but i hav heard it works for some and it doesnt work for others. but in our case it didnt work at least not with our lab.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If its a safety issue for the dog and nothing else is working, I can see why it might need to be used-but if it doesn't work and there is no improvement I wouldn't keep using it. I've never used shock collars on my dogs-I have two chihuahuas.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• They are mean and do not work. Maybe you should go to you local pet store and ask advice from a professional there.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011