Within my rights at this point?

Ok so we have an elderly woman up the road and for some reason she decided to get 3 dogs. I dont have a problem with it but they are always getting lose and they came into my yard and started harassing my sons dog. She is on a tie out outside during the day because I am not going to have her in the house. We also cant take her on walks because every time we go those dogs start following us and have been known to nip at people. One of them also came into my yard and we feed stray cats and we found one of them dead.

I know alot of people have already complained about the dogs but no one will do anything. This old lady says oh I am old I need help with the dogs, please dont call animal control. I am sorry, I dont care how old she is if you cant care for your dogs then something needs to be done. I am calling animal control tomorrow morning about them killing one of the cats & harassing my sons dog. Am I well within my rights? This has been going on around 5 months now.

Asked by gemgem at 1:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, you are within your rights. Try looking at it this way too...maybe you're doing the dogs a favor because it's not safe for them to be out roaming around anyway. They could be hit by a car or something. Or a neighbor could finally get so fed up with them that they do something to harm them.
    Perhaps a visit from Animal Control might prompt the lady to remedy the situation. In our county, AC will usually try to work WITH the pet owner by suggesting possible solutions that may not have occurred to the owner.
    Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Thanks. Animal control has already been trying that. They have been to her home several times and obviously nothing is working. They actually bit a guy on his bike riding on the road.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• At this point then, they need to either issue her a citation or take the animals. If they've already visited, then some action should be taken. I think in our county you get 2 warning trips by AC before they proceed with punitive measures.
    I hate when people get animals they can't/won't take care of the right way. We had numerous issues in our old neighborhood with loose dogs--some of them aggressive--and it drove me crazy. I was too afraid to even take walks alone in the subdivision.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That is where we are. Summer is just around the corner and my kids will be home ya know? We have an above ground pool and our yard isnt enclosed. I am pretty sure Id end up shooting those dogs if they hurt my kids or grandkids. I dont want it to come to that.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Then she should have gotten ONE dog.  Not 3 that she obviously can't handle.  So someone should get hurt so that she can keep her dogs?!  That makes no sense to me.  I agree, I'd call the pound.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You would be really doing her a favor if you did call animal control as I'm sure an elderly
    lady could NOT afford a law suit from one of her dogs biting someone or killing somebody's pet.
    And it seems that's sadly what is bound to happen next.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well my dogs and kids arent chew toys.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 7:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think you are really mean. Poor old lady. She ask for help and loves her pets and probably needs them to keep her company. Why can't you just help her and help solve the problem instead of getting her in trouble and fined and probably losing her dogs? God is watching. maybe that old lady is him seeing what kind of person you are.
    Anonymous

• I agree
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 1:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2011