Grounding question about phone

Recently my son was grounded, which in our house means all electronics. He has a cell phone in order to let me know when he's leaving school, as he now takes the city bus home (he's 11.) I told him he was ONLY allowed to use his cell to text me, and when he was home it was in my possession. Not a big deal for him, as him and his friends aren't REALLY into texting/ calling much yet.

The issue came when my mother called him on his cell one night and I answered it, saying he was grounded.

"From his GRANDMOTHER?" was the reply.

"From the PHONE" was mine.

To me, grounded is grounded. The only exception is myself. She disagreed and said that he "shouldn't be denied talking to his grandmother".

What do you think?

Edited to add: his grounding was only for 5 days. 

alionline

Asked by alionline at 1:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd let him talk to his grandmother but thats just me.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• grounded is grounded. Tell her it's not her. If she is angry that she can't speak with him on the phone, tell her to take it up with him because he is the one who did something wrong to have it taken away. Let her know that he is not allowed to have idle chit chat on the phone with you either. It is only to let you know he has left so you know when to expect him (and when to worry if he is not back) and in case of an emergency and that he is more than welcome to call her in these events if you can not be reached. The rules of contact aren't any different for her than they are for you. Not that you should have to explain your parenting to her anyway.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I would tell her he could call her on your phone because he was grounded, next time just turn it off. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree I would let him talk to her his grandma. I always let mine, grounded or not.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You should let him talk to family. Grounded from friends is fine. I personally think you made a bad call on this one. Sorry. :(
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I agree with you. I understand the need to call you when he gets on the bus, but aside from that, nope. No phone, is no phone. I remember being grounded from using the phone and that included relatives.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think you could have had her call back on the house phone and let him talk to her.
    Not allowing him to talk to his grandmother (on another phone) is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the grounding.

yes, you were wrong if you didnt allow him to talk to her from a different phone.

and btw... I find it VERY ODD that you would take his phone yet leave it on... why???
    Anonymous

• "yes, you were wrong"

I did not ask if I was "wrong" or "right".
    alionline

Comment by alionline (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Im sorry alionline... I thought you asked for opinions... mine was that you were wrong not to suggest that grandma call back on the house phone. My mistake if it meant to be a rhetorical question and I misunderstood.,

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree... if you are taking away the electronics as a punishment, it's kind of sad to include his grandmother in the punishment. Why not let her call on your phone and give him the phone to chat with her?
    myshinymonkey

Answer by myshinymonkey at 8:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011