Dealing with past addictions?

My psychiatrist prescribed me with numerous medication, I find it hard to take most because I never want to like that again. Has anyone felt this way after recovery?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 1:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Health

• So are you saying that he did assure you they aren't addictive and that if you didn't believe him, you could research them yourself? If so, then I would say if you and your doctor feel the meds are necessary, then you will just have to trust him that they aren't going to create dependency for you.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If you are a recovering addict, I hope you discussed your concerns over that with the psychiatrist. If you did and they psychiatrist prescribed them anyway, I would make one of two assumptions. That either
    A) The meds are non-addictive OR the risk of you taking them is far less than the risk of you NOT taking them
    B) The psychiatrist is not making a competent decision and a 2nd opinion should be sought.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• If they get you high in some way then I would not take it. Ask your doctor if you need to take them or are there other options.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Actually he told me to research the meds because he would not give me anything addictive. I am still skeptical but I do trust him.
    dubewife

Comment by dubewife (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2011