Does how active the baby is have to do with their heart rate?

I had my 12 week ultrasound last week and the babies heart beat was 164. But she was very active and I just wondered if that is why the heartbeat was so fast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is normal. Maybe you should go to your libraury and rent some baby books.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It's also effected by what you eat/drink directly before your appt. I get caffeine headaches so every morning I have 1 cup of coffee to combat them. When I drink coffee before my appt my daughters heartbeat went into the 180's early on. She's incredibly active, I complain she never stops moving, but at my 20 week ultra sound her heartbeat was down in the 140's. The younger the fetus the higher the heart rate in general, and then you factor in time of day, movement, and the mom's diet and you get a very wide range of "normal".
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes, in fact, every time the baby moves, their heartbeat should go up 10 beats per second. I'm high risk pregnancy and during my last trimester, ever doctor appointment, I have to be hooked up on a heartbeat monitor for 20 minutes to measure the baby's heartbeat and I have to push this button every time I feel the baby move.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• At 12 weeks I believe that 164 is a normal heart rate.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011