Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best way to handle a neighborhood bully?

My 8 year old son came inside about a hour ago, crying because a a little boy (9 years old) in the neighborhood was calling him "bad" names. My son wouldn't tell me everything that was said but he was extremely upset! The other little boy is known around the neighborhood as a brat and a bully. Most kids won't play with him at all! My son tries to stay away from him but he is our neighor (3 doors down) and stops at our house when he's sees kids in my yard. His parents work all day and don't get home until about 8: 30 most nights. He runs around the neighborhood with older boys (12 & 13) unsupervised. I don't know his parents. How should I handle this problem. He has also said very vulgar things to me!


Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • you need to talk to his mom, she probally has no clue that her son is behaving like this, ppl have to work she may be doing the best she can right now but you need to let her know, I used to have to work those hours myself, it's not easy, & you think your doing right by your children by bringing in money but sometimes other more important things get pushed behind, so give her a call ~

    Answer by tntornado45 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • Sounds like you should go and talk to his parents and let them know. Other than that just don't let him in your yard or anything. That's seems to just about all you can do as far as I know...

    Answer by Deathlilly at 6:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • I would try to talk to his parents. If that doesn't work then contact CPS. A 9 yr old should not be unsupervised the whole day. Sounds like he is raising his self.

    Answer by Xee at 8:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • I agree he should be supervised. In most states there is a legal age where they can be left alone and I doubt if any state says 9 is old enough to be unsupervised. Call CPS. That's just irresponsible of his parents to leave him alone and to run the streets with no one to care about the boy.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • Yup, call CPS or other local authorities. In most states, him being left alone is considered Child Neglect. You can remain anonymous.

    Answer by Raegy at 4:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2008