DD is acting wierd

Ok so my 3 year old DD has a tendancy to make herself sick if she gets in trouble and gets herself too worked up. Which is what happened last night. then it was like she had something in the back of her throte cause she kept gagging herself. I left DH in charge for a while so I could sleep and he said she was fine the whole time. This morning she was fine, at some point I gave her water and about 30m in later she got sick then fell asleep for a couple of hours, woke up and was perfectly fine even though she had water again right before she fell asleep. She was fine for about 2 1/2 hours then got sick again and is now acting completly normal. DH thinks its just a plot to get attention and so does a friend , she said her son does the same thing. I'm not sure whats wrong , I asked a nurse and she didn't think there was anything wrong. What do you ladies think and does anyone else have the same problem?

countrygirl06

Asked by countrygirl06 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• attention. My 2 1/2 yr old loves to make herself cough and gag when she is introuble so it will change the subject. just let her know your not fooled.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Tell her that if she keeps getting sick she'll have to go to the doctor. Just the idea of a doctor visit may convince her to stop if this is for attention. If she keeps doing it follow through and take her in. If the doctor finds nothing wrong then give her consequences for throwing up on purpose. This will not go over well in preschool so if it is on purpose you need to nip it in the butt now.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Yes, it's attention if it's happening when she's getting upset.
    If she were truly sick, she'd be getting sick all the time.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• You'd feel bad if she had something in her throat and you ignored it thinking it was just for attention. I'd take her to a doctor and let him check. I accidentally swallowed a piece of a staple. No one could see it at the ER. I had them call in my ENT and he put a scope down my throat and found it. Give the child the benefit of the doubt. BTW, for all who think little kids do things for attention, listen to them on that as well. Little kids need attention. If they act out when they get in trouble then it's to get you to show them that you forgive them. Learn to "hear" little kids who don't know how to ask for what they need from adults.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Just another note. Make sure the doctor rules out everything. My brother did this and the doctor diagnosed him with a condition called "nervous stomach". So he would get sick simply because he was crying or upset.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I'm used to her doing it on occasion but she has never taken it this far before so thats what has me wondering. I give both of my kids plenty of attention and I try to even it out so both of them get the same amount.
    countrygirl06

Comment by countrygirl06 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• It sounds suspicious. Were there actual upset events that came before each bout of being sick?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Does she get really tired after she does this? My cousin did this and would gag on nothing. She was having seizures.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• No she's running around like normal after. And no there weren't upset events right before she got sick today.My DH offered another theory before he left for work, she has some mucus or something running down into her tummy and thats whats making her sick. We both have a problem with that so I don't know if thats possible. if she doesn't get better in a day or two I will take her in and get her looked at.
    countrygirl06

Comment by countrygirl06 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2011