What is a nursing assistant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• A nursing assistant is also a Certified Nursing Assistant(CNA) they are lower than LPN/LVN's and they basically do all the dirty work :) Clean up after people have used the restroom, grooming of patients/residents, making beds, helping serve food to people, showers/baths....
    I'm currently in a CNA program. For me it's only a semester long class and then I'll take the state test and can work as a CNA wherever needed (hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living, in home care).
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I was a CNA for a long time, and to me, nurse's assistants get to do all the crap work the nurses don't want to do. I would never go back to being a CNA.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Way back when I was 19 I became one worked 3 days and knew it wasnt for me. You do all the dirty work.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I've been a CNA for almost 28 years. Got my certification at a local nursing home where my mother worked, and worked for a short time in the home, but found that I prefer private duty. I make my own hours/days, and can choose my clients.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Not every nurse is a Registered Nurse. Some have more qualifications (Nurse Practitioner) and others have less. Where I am, I believe they are called Registered Practical Nurses. They are still nurses but have less education and fewer qualified skills. Check with the American Nursing Association or a state association for details. Colleges would have the information regarding different nurses as well if they teach the program.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011